QU theater students to take the stage at Long Wharf

In a new venture for the Quinnipiac University Theater Program, Professor Crystal Brian and a team of students will debut “The Troubles of Romeo and Juliet” at New Haven’s Long Wharf Theater.

The main stage production will run from April 13 through April 18, with nightly performances at 8 p.m. and a Sunday afternoon matinee at 2 p.m. Prior to the Long Wharf debut, the students will perform the play for two workshops for invited students and faculty members on April 1 and 2 in Buckman Theater.

Attendees of the performances will witness the original adaptation of Shakespeare’s play, set in the Troubles of Northern Ireland. Co-adaptors of the script Kevin Daly, Sue Dering and Brian have worked to incorporate live Irish music and dance in the show, which looks at issues like civil conflict and terrorism.

“We have done a great deal of research into the causes of the Troubles, and have read many, many accounts of the losses the Irish people have suffered as a result of the sectarian violence. The visits of (president of Ireland’s Sinn Fein party) Gerry Adams and (Nobel Peace Prize recipient) Betty Williams to campus have enabled the entire cast to become knowledgeable about the political and social realities in Northern Ireland,” Brian said.

The cast includes Quinnipiac students Daly (Romeo), Allison Clark (Juliet), Shawn Grindle (Benvolio) and David Brand (Mercutio), as well as Professor Raymond Foery (Lord Capulet), Professor Liam O’Brien (fight coordinator and Policeman). The actors are assisted in their efforts by assistant director Nikki Levine and stage manager Dering.

“This is a very exciting opportunity for our theater students and we are hopeful that many of the Quinnipiac University student body will come to the Long Wharf to attend a performance and to support their fellow students as they work on stage at a nationally prestigious regional theater,” Brian said.

Tickets for the Quinnipiac production of “The Troubles of Romeo and Juliet” will be on sale in the student center beginning Monday. Admission to the show is $5 for students and $10 for general admission. Quinnipiac will be providing bus transportation to specific performances, and students can inquire about the busses at their point of ticket purchase.