Students donate 161 pints of blood

Tau Kappa Epsilon and Community Action Project teamed up with the American Red Cross for their spring semester blood drive for two days last week, Feb. 24-25 in Alumni Hall, in hopes of helping Connecticut’s blood shortage.

This is the second TKE and CAP co-sponsored blood drive this year.

“It is such a big event that it needs to be co-sponsored by two groups,” Jessie Russell, sophomore and Vice President of Finance for Community Action Project, said. “CAP uses it because the Red Cross is a volunteer organization and so are we. TKE uses it for their community service hours.”

“Quinnipiac is a perfect community to collect blood,” Justin Carroll, TKE’s philanthropist, said.

This is the 6th blood drive that has been held at Quinnipiac and they have proven to be very successful.

The blood drive collected 161 pints of blood. This surpasses the approximately 125 pints collected last semester.

The drive was very important for the American Red Cross, which has had a low blood supply since cancelling many of their scheduled drives in early February due to inclement weather, which is always a problem this time of the year.

“These 161 units really helped the situation,” Carleen Roy-Butler, Quinnipiac’s assistant director of community services and experimental learning, said. “We would like to thank all of the people on campus who came and donated.”

One pint is taken per person which is 1/10th of the blood volume in the body. One pint of blood can save three lives.

“Connecticut has been at a shortage for blood,” Russell said. “About five weeks ago there was only one pint of the blood type ‘O’ in the entire state. This is why it’s so important for people to donate.”

“The blood goes to help the people of our state, it helps all patients, trauma victims and cancer victims,” Melissa Rossi, account manager for the Red Cross, said.

“In order to be eligible to donate blood you must be older than seventeen, weigh more than 110 pounds and in generally good health,” Rossi said.

Freshman Holly Petrucci donated for her second time on Wednesday, “It’s not that big of a deal so if I can help someone else, why not?” she said.

Other donors had different reasons.

“Today I couldn’t figure out what to give up for Lent, so I thought I’d give some blood,” Angela DelGreco, senior and second time donor, said.

Those who decide to donate blood do not seem to think of it as a big deal; as students were giving blood they chatted with the nurses or even on their cell phones. Those students who decided not to donate their blood may have been scared of the process but Rossi assures that there is no need to be worried.

Reactions, such as fainting, are rare. She explained that a way to avoid possible reactions is to have a good meal at least four hours before donating and stay hydrated.

Two hundred and fifty Quinnipiac students signed up to donate at the most recent blood drive. There was a sign up table located in the student center, and TKE did reminder calls to make sure that everyone who signed up also showed up.

“This blood drive had a great turnout,” Rossi said. “TKE and CAP do an excellent job recruiting.”

These two organizations will team up again in the fall. The Red Cross should be on campus again next October for those who could not make it to this blood drive. Those who wish to donate blood before October may contact their local Red Cross chapter.