What it takes to be on SGA

As Student Government Association elections approach, students are left wondering who can serve as their representative. The Chronicle hopes to make the election process a clearer one.

In order to even appear on the ballot, students must reach a certain number of requirements. To serve on the five-member Executive Board, students must have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5, or an equivalent of approximately a C+. The E-Board consists of the President, Vice President of Student Concerns, Vice President of Public Relations, Vice President of Finance, Vice President of Programming and two seats on the Board of Trustees. The members of the E-Board also must get at least 515 signatures, or 10 percent of the student body. The E-Board candidates are limited to spending just $200 on their campaign which is paid for by personal funds. No University funds are used during campaigns. The combination of receipts and common sense of how much products cost goes into determining if the candidates are violating the price cap. The students who are running for E-Board positions must specify on a separate sheet whether or not they wish to be included on the ballot for a representative position.

All E-Board members must further be a full-time undergraduate student who is currently free of any judicial disciplinary sanctions as well as academic probation. He or she must also have served for no less than two full semesters as an elected member of the Student Government or served on a standing committee of the SGA for three or more semesters.

Those students seeking all class representative positions, including class presidents, must produce 15 percent of each class (195 signatures for the Class of 2006, 2007 and 163 signatures for the Class of 2005). Students running for class offices have a $100 spending limit. These candidates must have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.25, or an equivalent to a C average.

Students seeking positions for general membership into the class cabinet, students must be an undergraduate student, in good judicial standing and free of academic probation. Students must hold class affiliation as well.

In accordance with building local policies, no more than one sign per candidate is permitted in the Caf, Bobcat Den and on one pre-approved board in the student center. Nothing may be posted outside of any building or anything with any permanence.

To ensure students meet the grade point average, each candidate must sign a waiver allowing the Registrar’s Office to release any necessary information to the SGA for election and as long as the student remains in office.

The Student Government is composed of 41 members consisting of eight freshmen, eight sophomores, six juniors and six seniors. There is also a vice president and president of each class, thus equaling 10 freshmen, 10 sophomores, eight juniors and eight seniors. There are five executive officers of the Student Government and the voting members of the Board of Trustees are to be elected by the student policy.

For students who are interested in meeting the candidates and hearing where they stand on a given issue, there will be an Election Debate and Meet and Greet the Candidates Session on Feb. 29. The elections will take place on March 3.