Biological Honor Society inducts 23 members

Twenty-three new members were inducted into Gamma Rho, Quinnipiac’s new chapter of the Phi Sigma Biological Honor Society, at a ceremony that took place on Saturday, Feb. 21 in the Clarice L. Buckman Theater.

The Phi Sigma Biological Honor Society is devoted to promote research and academic excellence in the biological sciences.

Member requirements are a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and an interest or participation in scientific research.

The Phi Sigma Biological sciences honor society was founded at Ohio State University, March 17, 1915. The Phi Sigma Society became a member society of the Association of College Honor Societies in 1950.

The emblem of the Society consists of an ancient watch-key formed of the Greek letters Phi and Sigma, the former being superimposed upon the latter.

Together, they signify FELLOWS IN SCIENCE.

Fellowship in science includes ardent cooperative effort, effective leadership, and creative scholarship.

Gene Wong, associate professor of biology at Quinnipiac and faculty advisor to Gamma Rho, and his wife, Catherine Wong, adjunct professor of biology at Quinnipiac, helped establish the new chapter. They are co-executive directors of Phi Sigma Biological Honor Society’s national office.

Melissa Woods of Lindenhurst, N.Y., and Rebecca Szymczak of Scotia, N.Y., both senior biology students in the School of Health Sciences, facilitated the organization of the chapter. They have been chosen to serve as chapter president and vice-president, respectively.

In order to establish this society on campus, Woods and Szymczak had to go through a long process. They had to establish the society as a recognized student organization through the Student Affairs Office.

They also had to question professors about their students that participated in independent reseach in order to assist them in finding eligible candidates to be inducted into the society.

Woods and Szymczak then contacted all eligible candidates and waited for replies to their invitation into this prestigious honor society.

The national office of the organization also needed to be contacted in order to approve the establishment of the Gamma Rho chapter here at Quinnipiac University.

The establishment of this chapter here at Quinnipiac was very important to both Woods and Szymczak.

“There are so many students who have put a great deal of time and effort into independent research,” Woods and Szymczak agreed. “It just felt natural to start an honor society that recognized such effort and provided financial backing for independent research.”

“We hope that the establishment of this society will foster intellectual growth and a sense of community for those students involved in biological research,” Woods and Szymczak further agreed.

“We also hope that this society will stimulate students to be more involved in independent research, as it greatly benefits one’s future to have such laboratory experience. When pursuing future endeavors past undergraduate school, having research experience puts a student at a great advantage.”