School of Business thriving

According to recent Undergraduate Admissions figures, the School of Business is 74 percent more popular this year than last year.

Mark Thompson, Dean of the School of Business, believes a variety of factors are contributing to the surge in popularity. He said the reputation of the school is a major factor in the increase in applications.

He said that the fact that this School of Business is one of just a quarter of the business schools in the country to have earned the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International is a major reason that so many students would like to attend Quinnipiac’s business program.

The recently completed Terry W. Goodwin ’67 Financial Technology Center in Tator Hall is the only center of its kind in Connecticut.

According to information provided by the School of Business, the center is 1,500-square-feetand has 31 computer workstations that provide students to access real-time financial data, practice analytical finance methods, conduct trading simulations, analyze economic databases and develop financial models.

Information available to students in the center includes stock prices on a ticker tape and wallboards that display currency, interest rates, bond prices and data from NASDAQ and the New York Stock Exchange.

He also attributes the quality of the “tremendously talented faculty” to the school’s success. He said “our faculty is coming to Quinnipiac with doctorates from some the best business schools in the country,” which attracts business students who would like to reach similar success. There are currently 55 full time faculty members in the School of Business.

Many students forget that Quinnipiac University started as a business school back in 1929 and has always had an ongoing business program to present.

Thompson has been trying very diligently to have student participation increase. He thinks that students have responded very well and is very pleased with the direction that the School of Business is taking. Thomson has been at Quinnipiac for six years; this is his first year as Dean. For the first five years of his tenure at Quinnipiac, he has served as the Associate Dean.