New semester brings new faces and good times

The relentless unpacking and parking lot grumbles continue as the 2004 spring semester emerges.

With almost 200 students short of the enrollment of last fall, returning students are left to deal with new rooms, roommates, and student transfers.

According to Joan Isaac Mohr, vice president and dean of Admissions, this decrease in student enrollment is typical of a spring semester.

“This is the usual pattern. Some students choose to leave mid-year, some fall into academic jeopardy, and some complete their degree at the end of the fall semester.”

With the addition of 76 new students, many on-campus residents are making room changes.

Jackie Murray, a freshman Commons resident, said her room change was for the better.

“Things weren’t working out with our old roommate, but now it’s really good,” she said. “We’re definitely more alike than we were with our old roommate.”

Many transfer students feel the changes were positive for them as well.

Stony Brook transfer Jean Hatred said her roommates made her feel right at home.

“When I came in I thought they’d already be adjusted to each other and the school, so I’d feel like an outcast,” Hatred said. “But then I came here and it was an easy transition because all the girls were really sweet and willing to help me in any way they could.”

Mallory Emmons, a sophomore transfer student, said moving into Mountain View was difficult initially.

“Transferring to Quinnipiac was a nerve wracking experience at first,” he said. “With all the questions of making friends and doing well in classes bombarding my thoughts, I was really nervous in the beginning.”

Emmons said things have since come around.

“I knew that anything had to be better than before,” said Emmons. “So far things have been great and the transition has gone well.”

For many returning residents, the semester change has had little effect.

Eric Pearlman, sophomore Larson resident, said this semester is just a continuation of the last.

“It’s not much different coming back,” he said. “Its basically like we didn’t even leave.”

Meredith Somers, a Judge Philip Troup resident, said she had no problems moving in.

“This semester was fine, I just dove right in,” she said.

Katie Kenneally, a sophomore Mountain View resident, said her experience was a little different.

“It was tough because I moved myself in,” Kenneally said. “It was hard getting the television and fridge out of my car.”

Brian Craco, a sophomore Larson resident, said, changing his room had its benefits.

“I have a room to myself now, which works out well because I play guitar. It’s a lot easier without that extra person around.”

For those students living off campus, parking can be a problem as well.

James Armack, a junior Southington, CT resident said this semester is better than last.

“Well, last semester was terrible. I had to come to school at least 45 minutes before my class started,” he said.

Armack said changing his schedule will make parking easier.

“I had to change my schedule so I only had to come twice a week because of such bad parking,” he said. “Now the time I come usually isn’t that bad, although I’ve only parked twice so far this semester.”

Students have not been the only ones to be affected by the new semester.

Derek Zuckerman, assistant director of Residential Life, stated he has seen his share of complaints this semester.

“People that are happy do not come in here and say, ‘Hey Derek, you’re doing a great job,'” Zuckerman said. “What you hear is if there are people that are dissatisfied; they’re the ones who make their voices heard.”

Zuckerman said trying to please everyone can make his job impossible.

“It can have a domino effect,” he said. “Sometimes students don’t realize that if we give a bed to them, we can’t give that bed to someone else.”

Zuckerman went on to state students need to be considerate of future residents of their dorms.

“It’s difficult because students that are changing rooms are usually in difficult situations and sometimes they can act selfishly,” Zuckerman said. “They often make it difficult for the people coming in.”

With a lesser enrollment of undergraduate students this semester, he said transfer students have not caused a problem.

“We have a bunch of vacancies. We always have more room in the spring,”

Overall, Zuckerman said he is pleased with student participation.

“In general, all people that were placed were happy,” he said. “I appreciate students that are welcoming new students into their rooms.”

Students seeking off-campus housing should see Stacey Miller, director of Housing, in the Residential Life building for related websites and contact information of available apartment housing.