QU students visit wax museum in NYC

J.Lo, Julia Roberts, Shakira, Hugh Grant, Selma Hayek, Brad Pitt, Lenny Kravitz… Sound like the red carpet? Think again. It is the Madame Tussauds Wax Museum in New York City, and a group of Quinnipiac University students were able to visit it on Saturday, Nov. 15.

The school provided the trip to New York City and the museum. The ride to the city was free and the tickets to the museum were $15. The tickets are usually $25 per person, though there is a student discount.

Madame Tussauds Wax Museum is located on 42nd St. There are also other museums just like it located in London, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, and Las Vegas.

The museum opened in November 2000, and cost approximately $50 million. It is a museum full of wax figures where the exact measurements were taken from real celebrities and made into a wax replica. According to some students that attended the trip, the artists did a phenomenal job on the wax figures.

The museum features such celebrity figures as Oprah Winfrey, The Beatles, Elvis, Princess Diana and Michael Jordan. The museum also allows for visitors to touch and take pictures with the wax replicas.

The museum also has a section called Hope, where wax figures of three Americans raising the nation’s flag at Ground Zero are displayed. There is also a section in the museum that demonstrates how the wax replicas were made.