Alpha Chi donates 10k to shelter

Alpha Chi Omega presented Tracy Parks, who is the Community Educator of the Domestic Violence Shelter of Greater New Haven, with a check for $10,450 during a domestic violence lecture on October 20.

The money, which was raised through this month’s Frisbee Fest, goes towards the Shelter’s 24-hour hotline, shelter services for women and children, support groups, and community education. Alpha Chi also donated a computer to the Shelter.

“I am speechless,” said Parks. “Of all the clubs and colleges in this area, Alpha Chi Omega and QU have raised the most money by far for us.”

The lecture was entitled “Fight for Survival,” and was part of Domestic Violence Month. The event also featured guest speaker Wendy Nattars, who was in an abusive relationship in her mid 20’s.

Now 35 years old, she speaks about how she had got involved in the relationship and all of her steps that she took in the relationship.

“Everything was a romance novel, perfect until the age of 22,” Nattar said. “He had given me a spending allowance, called me names, told me how to make the bed, told me what errands I needed to run, and when I was allowed to go to sleep.”

Parks also spoke about what domestic violence is during the lecture.

“Any kind of verbal, economical, and emotional abuse is considered domestic violence,” said Parks. “Domestic violence is not only physical abuse, it involves a pattern of letting people control you.”

One-third of all women will be involved in an abusive relationship sometime in their life. seventy-five percent of all violence is committed by a person that the victim knows.

Nattars sought help at the Domestic Violence Shelter of Greater New Haven after she could not take the abuse anymore. She had been beaten and verbally abused and had a child in her life that she needed to protect, as well as herself.

“The last fight we had I call ‘the day he knocked some sense into me,'” Nattar said.

She has been out of her abusive relationship for eight years and now raises her daughter alone. She had sought refuge in a domestic violence shelter that put her back on her feet.

Lindsey Petrick, a Quinnipiac student who attended the speaker was floored when she left.

“I couldn’t believe that something like this could actually happen to someone,” Petrick said.

If you or a friend need some help or have a question about Domestic Violence, please call the 24-hour hotline. (203) 789-8104.