Students, faculty come together for Majors Fair

An estimated 400 Quinnipiac students attended the Majors Fair on Oct. 22 and were given demonstrations by both faculty and experienced students. The students, both declared and undeclared majors, were exposed to over 50 individual majors offered on campus.

“It was a wonderful opportunity for first and second year students,” said Susan Hyde-Wick, Assistant Director of Career Development and coordinator of the fair.

The demonstrations outlined the majors’ requirements, activities, courses, and the careers each major could lead to after graduation.

The aim of the majors fair was to inform students of the different majors and programs offered on campus and gave undeclared students the opportunity to pick the major that fits them best.

Quinnipiac is represented by four major schools: the School of Business, the School of Health Sciences, Liberal Arts, and the School of Communications. Each school has up to 16 individual majors.

The school of business offers such majors as Accounting, Economics, Health Administration, Management, International Business, B.S/M.B.A programs, Interdisciplinary Double Majors, Finance, Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management, Marketing and Advertisement.

According to Assistant Professor of Marketing and Advertising Patricia Norberg, her department offers students a variety of opportunities in their careers.

“There’s really a lot of options; all organizations market,” said Norberg.

Professor of Management David Kadden says the program really prepares students for the real world.

“Management isn’t a job; it’s a position,” Kadden said. “With the Management Program, anything the world can throw at you, you can take it.”

The School of Health Science houses such undergraduate majors as Chemistry, Biology, Nursing, Physical Training, Biochemistry, Athletic Training, Clinical Laboratory Science, Diagnostic Imaging, Microbiology/ Molecular Biology, Veterinary Technician, Psychobiology, and Respiratory Care. Health Sciences also offers Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Physician’s Assistant as five to six year programs.

Cradling a plastic baby, junior Nursing major Alison Calner stressed the commitment involved in the Nursing program.

“It’s really kissing your social life away, but the clinicals are great,” she said. “We really have a lot of fun with those.”

The Clinical Coordinator of the Sports Medicine Program Susan Norkus emphasized that students do best when they are happy in their major.

“We [the Sports Medicine Program] want people to really want to be there,” said Norkus. “If you enjoy what you’re doing, you’re going to be successful,” said Norkus.

Maura Coppola, the Administrative Coordinator of the Department of Nursing, spoke of the endless possibilities in the Nursing career.

“You can really change and reinvent yourself in the nursing program,” said Coppola.

The College of Liberal Arts carries 16 majors including; Criminal Justice, English, Computer Science, Gerontology, History, Interactive Digital design, Legal Studies, Mathematics, Political Science, Psychobiology, Psychology, Sociology, Social services, Spanish, Five-year B.A/ M.B.A.

Jonathan Blake, Department Chair of Computer Sciences and Interactive Digital Design, spoke of the mindset involved in the major.

“It [CSC/ IDD] involves a different way of thinking,” said Blake. “The hardest part is just getting it all to click.”

The Division of Education offers the majors of Elementary, middle grade, and Secondary education. Sophomore students must maintain a GPA of 2.67 to remain in the teaching program.

The School of Communication offers Television and Radio Production, Broadcast and Print Journalism, Public Relations Video Editing, Electronic Communications, and the general study of media communications.

Journalism Professor Rebecca Abbott explained the principles of her major.

“It’s [Journalism] all about information and telling stories,” said Abbott.

Professor Edward Alwood says journalism students are not just interested in journalism alone, but can incorporate other fields of study in their curricula as well.

“Journalism students are often attracted to subjects like legal studies and psychology as well,” said Alwood.

18 credits in any major can be used to obtain a minor in the subject.

Quinnipiac also offers a number of graduate programs in Business, Communications, Education, and Health Sciences.