Phi Sigma Sigma hosts annual Rock-a-Thon

“We’re gonna rock around the clock tonight.” With the broadcast of those words, the Annual Phi Sigma Sigma Rock-a-Thon to benefit the National Kidney Foundation began.

“We’re going to rock in a rocking chair for 24 hours,” Dawn Miller, a sophomore Liberal Arts major, said.

Every sister got to rock in the chair for two hours, including deep into the night and even in the rain. The Rock-a-thon began at 4 p.m. on Oct. 17 and ended 4 p.m. the next day.

The Rock-a-thon represents the national philanthropy, or charity of the sorority. Since Phi Sigma Sigma is part of a national sorority, all the local chapters do a Rock-a-thon at some point during the year.

“Kidney disease is overlooked. We need to bring more attention to it. Every little bit we can do helps,” Caitlin Cooper, a sophomore mass communications. major said.

The girls of Phi Sigma turned up the music and turned on the fun. There was laughing and dancing as well as some karaoke. Then an unexpected event came. Rain.

“We just grabbed the table and moved it. Then we sang karaoke and just enjoyed ourselves,” Michelle Celemente, a sophomore public relations major, said.

The rain continued throughout the night, but that did not darken the girls’ moods. They thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

“We’re getting a lot of support and this is a good bonding experience for us,” Celemente said

They began the event with the hope of raising $4000. Every girl in the sorority donated 50 dollars. In addition, the sorority welcomed local businesses to donate gift certificates and prizes. The raffle included gift certificates from Primo Pizza, Toninos, Dominos, Payless, Mt. Carmel Fine Cake and Pastries and the Sleeping Giant Golf Course.

The sorority holds the event every Parents’ Weekend and the parents responded very graciously and bought many raffle tickets.

Danielle Turner commended the parents on their efforts.

“The parents are great and helping out. We’re having fun and enjoying ourselves and we’re going to end strong.”