A midnight full of madness

An electrified Burt Kahn Court was Friday night’s hot spot, which was invaded by over 1,500 screaming crazy Bobcat fanatics. They were awaiting the approach of midnight, which signifies the start of the NCAA basketball season.

“What noise? I could not hear a single thing,” said junior Alexa Smith, referring to the deafening noise.

With standing room only, the gym was overflowing with a sea of yellow T-shirts. There was music from the pep band and the D.J., riveting dance moves from the Dance Company, Dance Mode and Kickline, and flips, kicks and jumps from the cheerleaders. Spotlights, noisemakers, tap dancing and even shootouts for scholarships energized the fans until the time came to introduce the men’s and women’s basketball teams.

Despite the cold and wet night, the spirit of those involved was not dampened. At 9 p.m. the sound of music pulled in and gathered many towards the newly named Bobcat’s Den, formally known as the Rathskeller. While students crowded Bobcat Alley, others cheered from their balconies in the Hill Apartments, while others pounded on the Irma and Dana windows in support of the event.

“I am very excited about tonight,” said freshman Tiffany Ward.

After arriving, Bobcat fans’ were forced to wait outside a while longer. People were becoming restless but intensity levels were in overdrive.

“I love the rowdiness. This is such an exciting atmosphere,” said Rachel Goldsmith.

Although individuals were upset about waiting out in the rain, it gave students a chance to think about what Midnight Madness means to them. The night’s activities bring students together as a whole as they can bond and cheer together on a common ground.

“It is great to see our athletic teams supported,” said junior Salvatore Morello.

Many students came to the pep rally to cheer on their friends and roommates.

“I came to support my roommates who are on the softball and track teams,” said sophomore Bekah Goldberg.

When entering the gymnasium, specific sections were made for each class to show their class pride.

“Each class had unique qualities and could be seen solidified in a single night,” sophomore Elissa Peland said.

Each class was given a favor to use or wear during the event. Seniors were given fiber optics and the juniors received yellow thunder sticks. The sophomores were given towels and the freshmen received bandanas.

Athletes find Midnight Madness to be an important part of their season.

C.J. Vick, junior forward on the men’s basketball team said, “The atmosphere of Midnight Madness is something that gives us even more motivation to work hard for the fans and the QU community.”

The women’s basketball team feels the same way about the night’s festivities. Helen Ridley, a guard for the Bobcats said, “Midnight Madness is great for our program because it gets us geared up to start our new season. It also gets the students involved and aware of the two basketball teams so that they will support us throughout the seasons.”

Around 10:30 p.m., the countdown to midnight began. Host and Master of Ceremonies, Mike Germano, riled up the capacity crowd with a chant of “QU” which was alternated between the left and right sides of the gymnasium.

Senior Valerie Pensa sang God Bless America to get the night’s festivities started.

Phenomenal performances by the Dance Company, Dance Mode, Kickline and the cheerleading squad, made all in attendance proud to be a part of the Quinnipiac community.

Dance Company treasurer Erin Rosa said, “We were all kind of nervous about performing, but the crowd definitely helped us.”

Dance Company was able to acquire the services of professional choreographer, Dom Kelley, to make their performance the best it could be. Rosa said her third Midnight Madness performance was bitter sweet