New plan for fire alarms implemented

Quinnipiac administration has now issued a three-phase plan for the repair of the Mountainview residence hall fire alarm problem.

The plan, aimed at ending the 20 alarm epidemic, was in its second stage as of Thursday night and is said to be completed within the next several weeks.

Senior Associate Facilities Director Bob Bisighini says the firedrills have been attributed to system vandalism, exposure to steam and chemicals from custodial closets and other mechanical problems.

Facilities, in cooperation with Symplex alarm company, is currently reprogramming the system from smoke-sensitive to heat-sensitive sensors to assure the system will not go off from the custodial closet’s steam.

Frank Finkle of Facilities claims that the problem is fairly contained.

“This is something we think we have under control,” Finkle said.

Mountainview Residential Director Todd Liu, also irritated with the alarms, has been meeting with the Symplex and Quinnipiac administration in hopes of finally putting the disaster to rest.

“They [the fire alarms]Tare extremely frustrating for me and everyone who lives here,” said Liu.

Liu is confident in the system and reassures residents that the alarms only prove how capable the system is of detecting an emergency.

“We have to keep in mind that it’s a very good system; that’s why it’s so sensitive,” Liu said. “We know that it would definitely be effective if there actually is an emergency.”

Ken Kosier, the fifth floor Resident Assistant of Mountainview, applauds Liu’s efforts and feels Liu is not getting the credit he deserves.

“I think residents should appreciate all that Todd has done so far,” Kosier said. “Hopefully it will be effective and calm everyone’s concerns.”

Increasingly losing their patience with the late-night alarms, students like Anne Wrobel of Mountainview have even resorted to rearranging their dorm rooms in order to avoid potential injury.

“Me and my roommate had to deloft our beds because we were afraid of falling off the ladders climbing out of bed,” Wrobel said.

Liu realizes the aggravation the alarms have caused to date and assures students he and the administration are doing the best they can to prevent further alarms from taking place.

“I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this causes,” Liu said. “We are all doing our best to expedite this process and complete it as soon as possible.”

Mountainview resident Rosa Nieves claims she is pleased with Facilities’ work, but hopes that the repairs have lasting results.

“There has been a significant difference in the fire alarms for the past week and a half,” she said. “I feel a bit more comfortable with sleeping. Hopefully the problem has been fixed for good.”

Bisighini feels confident that Facilities have done all that they can, but stresses the importance of student cooperation in maintaining the systems.

“We feel our end is done; it’s up to the student end to control their people,” he said.