Parents Weekend schedule of events officially announced

Parents Weekend will kick off Friday, Oct. 17 and last through Sunday, Oct. 19, giving parents and students plenty of time to catch up, enjoy the campus and each others’ company.

“Basically the whole weekend there’s something for everyone,” said Amy Rosen, assistant director of Parent and Alumni Affairs.

The first events of the weekend include the men’s tennis Quinnipiac University Invitational, and the women’s ice hockey game at the Northford Ice Pavilion. A Fidelio concert, which is a “song without words,” performance including six compositions by Felix and Fanny Mendelssohn will also be featured.

Rosen encourages parents to register early for events because some events will have limited space available. However, she assures that there is enough space for everyone in most events.

The favorite event of Parents Weekend in past years seemed to be the complimentary brunch; last year approximately 2,100 people were in attendance. The brunch requires advanced reservations.

This brunch, along with athletic events and a Sleeping Giant fall foliage hike, will take place on Sunday. The hike is for the first 150 hikers that arrive at the state park.

One of the main events of the weekend will be the welcome from President John Lahey. Along with the welcome, the Parents’ Association raffle prize winner will be picked. The prize is one semester’s tuition.

There will also be informational sessions each day for families to participate such as “Reality: Quinnipiac,” which discusses the real issues facing students and parents when dealing with college life. The Office of Career Services is holding a session to help undecided students declare their majors.

These workshops are open to all Quinnipiac students and their parents and are designed to give parents information to help them become more acquainted with the university.

The weekend will also feature two showings of Legally Blonde 2, taking place both Saturday and Sunday in Buckman Theatre. There will also be a “pay as you eat” food festival in the Quadrangle on Saturday afternoon, where there will be a variety of foods prepared by Quinnipiac’s own students.

There are plenty of athletic events to watch over the weekend as well. The baseball team, men’s lacrosse and women’s lacrosse will be competing in scrimmages.

Quinnipiac men’s tennis will be holding an invitational that will be taking place throughout the weekend. The men’s and women’s soccer teams will also be hosting games.

Senior Associate Director of Athletics, Bill Mecca, expects there to be some exciting games.

“With any of the games where the teams are facing another Division I opponent we expect the highest competition level possible,” he said.

The women’s and men’s basketball teams will be kicking off their seasons on Friday evening with “Midnight Madness” in the gymnasium. This presentation will include performances from the Dance Company and Dance Mode.

While students do not need to have their plans set yet, the deadline for registration is Oct. 13. All parents received a brochure in the mail and reservations can be made online.

“Students are encouraged to make reservations early,” said Rosen.