Avalon rapist apprehended

Charges of there sexual batteries and four attempted sexual batteries may result in a possible life sentence in the case of David Alan Shuey, the prime suspect in the rape of two Quinnipiac students in Avalon.

Last March two Quinnipiac students were held at gunpoint in the Avalon parking lot and forced into a wooded area where Shuey allegedly proceeded to rape them. He is believed to have struck again in Avalon in January but was unsuccessful, allegedly escaping with the 26-year-old’s wallet.

Shuey was apprehended Tuesday, August 5, in Florida after he attempted to assault a 33-year-old St. Johns county resident.

“I think we’ve hit the tip of the iceberg,” said St. Johns County Sheriff’s Lt. Tom Quintieri.

Additional accusations against Shuey began in the days following his arrest as mug shots reached every town and city he has resided in. There are now at least ten cases pending from Florida, Connecticut and Pennsylvania.

On September 11, 2003 David Shuey plead not guilty in St. Johns county courtroom to charges of sexual battery, armed attempted sexual battery, armed kidnapping and attempted kidnapping.

Shuey’s family and friends were in complete shock upon hearing the news. A friend told reporters he seemed normal.

Graduating from Pennsylvania State University in 1996 Shuey continued on to be a sports marketing representative. In college Shuey was on the rugby team and worked stocking textbooks at the campus bookstore.

The statistics surrounding rape are shocking. In America, a woman is raped every two minutes, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. In 2002 alone 247,730 people were raped.

According to the Department of Justice only two percent of rapists are convicted and imprisoned every year. If you or anyone you know has been a victim of sexual assault, preserve evidence of the attack and do not bathe or brush your teeth.

Call toll free 1-800-656-HOPE run by R.A.I.N.N. otherwise known as rape, abuse and incest, national network. On campus you should report to the health center immediately or talk to the local psychologist that has regular hours.