HUB offers checking convenience for students

Money is always a priority for college students and saving it is always a challenge. Hudson United Bank, which is located right here on campus, is offering a way to help.

The office on campus is one of 43 branches located in Connecticut. It is considered a “Community Outreach Bank,” which is here to help the students on campus. It is currently open three days a week.

Opening an account on campus may be something that students would want to consider, especially those involved in the work study program.

Students with work study can easily take advantage of the direct deposit program at Hudson United bank. The money will be put directly into their account on campus and can be accessed without any service fees. Without holding an account, Hudson United is unable to cash student’s checks.

While the bank may be more convenient, it might not be cost effective.

“Weigh out your fees,” said Stacy Wucheck, who works at the Quinnipiac office.”It depends on the fees and service charges of other banks in the area. I’m not sure what they’re offering right now for service charges, but if you can maintain the $250 balance then there are no service charges and the account is free as long as you have direct deposit.”

Not having to deal with service or ATM fees sounds like great deal, even to those who aren’t involved in the work study program. When freshman Chrissie Poulis was told about the checking accounts at Hudson United she was surprised.

“Just $250?” she said. “I’m definitely going to consider opening an account because I could still keep my account at home but also have one here.” She and other students around campus are frustrated with the ATM fees that can be up to $1.75 for each withdrawal.

It’s very simple to open a checking account with Hudson United. All that is needed is $250 for a minimum balance, your driver’s license, social security card, phone number, and mail box number.

Hudson United is not the only option for Quinnipiac students. There are also seven other bank branches located right in Hamden.

Staying with your current bank is more practical for some students like Kristin Donovan, however.

“I don’t have work study and I don’t really use my ATM card often so I don’t think I really need to change my bank,” she said.