Remembering September 11th, 2001

Two years ago today, the United States of America was changed forever. The implications of the attacks of September 11, 2001 are far-reaching, and immeasureably felt on Quinnipiac’s campus.

For many students on the Quinnipiac campus, the events had a profound effect on their college careers.

This is especially true for juniors and seniors, since the attacks occured within the first month of school.

The tragic events that unfolded that day left students to reflect on their own personal experiences within the university community.

“I think it accelerated the bond we have as a class and as a university,” said junior Rob Yagid. “It was terribly tragic and the only way we could deal with it was by relying on the support of our friends and the staff of Quinnipiac.”

Junior Christine Rock agreed with Yagid and said that the school provided the ideal setting for the healing process.

“I think that the best place we could have been when it happened was at school,” said Rock. “The campus as a community has become more tightly knit. The University helped us to get through this troubling time with candle-vigils and counselors.”

Junior Brittany Caruso also believes that being on campus for the events was important because of the support that was offered.

She also appreciates the different points of view that were expressed on campus in regards to how to deal with the situation.

“I am glad that I’ve been in college while all of this has been happening because it’s given me the opportunity to hear so many different points of view on what’s going on right now,” she said. “As horrible as it was, it really brought everyone together.”

While Caruso believes her family would have provided her with the most ideal support system, the support her friends were able to offer brought them closer as a result.

“Being away from home was tough, when you don’t have your family to turn to for support,” she said. “But your friends here are the next best thing.”

While the goal of the terrorists was to weaken our country and the morale of the citizens, the opposite seems to have occurred in the two years since the attacks.

“Personally, it made me value the opportunity of being at this school that much more,” Yagid said. “It brought things into perspective, why I was here and what an amazing opportunity I’ve been so fortunate to have.”

Perhaps the most important aspect of the situation was the way the campus, and on a larger scale the entire country, was able to unite and show terrorists around the world exactly what Americans are made of.

“Our Univeristy as a whole also imitated the country in the sense that we all came together to grieve and to try and overcome the tragedy,” said Rock.

For some students who were not directly affected by the tragedies, being on campus served as a link to the events for them.

“The things that affected me were the reactions of my friends who did have family in New York or were from the area,” said senior Amy Plourd. “I remember my roommate being upset because her brother works in the city.”

Two years later the school is still helping students with the grieving process by offering memorials throughout the day.

The campus bells will be rung at 8:45 a.m., 9:45 a.m., and 10:13 a.m. to honor those lost in the tragedy.

Students are encouraged to join together to pay their respects and observe a moment of silence while the bells are being rung.

In addition, a “Faces of America” ceremony will take place in Alumni Hall tonight at 6 p.m.

The event will be run by the Students Helping and Advocating Diversity Education organization.

The event will feature a guest speaker who will discuss cultural differences and promoting unity despite differences in backgrounds and lifestyles.