Professor Hanley promoted

The School of Mass Communications has gone through a variety of changes this summer. The school has gained many new staff members, changed deans, and even lost a few professors to other departments and schools.

Professor Richard Hanley has been a part of the mass communications department for many years, but received a promotion for the 2003-2004 academic year.

Hanley, graduate program director in the school of mass communications, was recently promoted and will now be overseeing the graduate program in the areas of journalism and e-media.

“It was very flattering that the University gave me this opportunity,” said Hanley. “I never thought about doing it before, but I want what is best for this University. I was asked to go into the position, so I took it.”

With a new position comes many new responsibilities.

“It is my job to meet and admit graduate students, recruit students, help with scheduling, and help with the development of the program,” said Hanley. “I want to be there focusing on every issue that a new student would face.”

Hanley advises over 50 students. He says he hopes with his help that students will be able to make a smooth transition into the University and be able to interact well with other people on campus.

“I want to teach these students,” said Hanley. “I feel like I have the skills to help build them professionally. I feel I can bring them insight that will help them succeed.”

Hanley is not only interested in helping the students, but he hopes, through work, the graduate program will prosper.

“My first task is to solidify the linguistics of the program,” said Hanley. “I want to work all the little things that will be for the betterment of the program.”

Hanley stated that growing the program is a shared responsibility.

“I have amazing colleagues,” said Hanley. “If the program succeeds, it is not just my doing, it’s all of our doings. But if it fails, then it is my fault.”

Even though Hanley is working on the graduate level, he is also responsible in the advisement of some of the undergraduates.

“I would never give up my work with the undergraduates of the University,” he said. “I have the best of both worlds.”