Dean Jarice Hanson resigns

At the end of the academic year, Jarice Hanson, Dean of the School of Communications, will be resigning from Quinnipiac University.

Hanson, who has been at the school since August 2001, will be leaving for the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. She was previously employed there from 1985 until she left to come to Quinnipiac.

“I will be teaching and I will be the Assistant Director of the Massachusetts Institute for Social and Economic Research,” Hanson said. “I’m rather anxious to fit that into my career.”

The Massachusetts Institute for Social and Economic Research is an organization which does overall research for the public regarding social service and social responsibility. In her new position, Hanson will work with non-profit organizations and the state government to determine how overall changes, and most specifically financial changes, will impact citizens.

Hanson finds reassurance knowing UMass was willing to make her an impressive offer to lure her back.

“To quote the Godfather, ‘They made me an offer I couldn’t refuse,'” she said. “It’s nice to know that you are wanted.”

Hanson also believes the fact that she was previously employed by UMass will make the move that much easier.

“It’s nice to know what you’re getting into,” she said.

While Hanson will be carrying on her career in another state come August, she hopes to keep her Quinnipiac ties intact.

“I’m hoping to maintain a relationship [with Quinnipiac students and staff],” Hanson said. “I hope to do some research in the future with some of the faculty here. Don’t be surprised if you see me at some future graduations.”

Hanson, who holds a B.A. from Northeastern University and an M.A. and Ph.D from Northwestern University, was instrumental in the growth of the Quinnipiac School of Communications. She lists the program’s growth as one of her proudest achievements here at Quinnipiac.

Hanson is also proud of the fact that she was able to help build a closer link between student organizations and Quinnipiac faculty.

“It’s all about putting the right people in the right places, and empowering them to do great work,” she said.

Hanson originally came to Quinnipiac because she was intrigued at the prospect of helping get the School of Communications off the ground. She also looked toward growth for the school as a whole.

In her first year at Quinnipiac, Hanson served only as the Dean of the School of Communications. She has since resumed teaching both Introduction to Mass Communication and Media Law.

In her two years, Hanson has forged close relationships among students, faculty and staff at Quinnipiac.

“I’m going to miss students and faculty, without a doubt,” she said. “I’ll especially miss the communications staff. I think we have a remarkable staff here at the McMahon Communications Center.”

According to Assistant Professor of e-media Richard Hanley, Quinnipiac will greatly miss Hanson.

“It’s a loss to the University and to the School of Communications,” Hanley said. “She brought a lot of energy, enthusiasm and professionalism to the job as both a professional and a scholar. It’s a rare mix.”

In the meantime, Associate Dean of the School of Communications David Donnelly will take over Hanson’s duties. According to Hanson, a more complete search for her successor will be conducted next year.