Diamond Dash

Alpha Delta Pi raised more than $2,500 for the Ronald McDonald House in New Haven for their first-ever Diamond Dash this Sunday with 197 runners.

Diamond Dash consisted of a 5K run/walk beginning at 10 a.m., tie dye, face painting and pumpkin painting.

Many Alpha Delta Pi sisters participated in the event and, like sophomore Jenn Bellucci, were thrilled with the outcome.

“I think it went very well,” Bellucci said. “It was a good way to get the Quinnipiac University community involved.”

Attendees consisted of participants and supporters, like the Gilbert family. Aaron Gilbert, whose family has been staying at the Ronald McDonald House in New Haven for almost a month, brought his three sons to the event, like 22-month-old son, Elijah.

Elijah has been receiving intravenous antibiotic treatment for Lyme Disease. The eldest Gilbert child, 7-year-old Noah, has also been receiving treatment at the Ronald McDonald House for Lyme Disease.

“The event today was really awesome,” Gilbert said. “I’m glad that the girls do this for the Ronald McDonald House. I’m really glad they are here to help. They come to the Ronald McDonald House on a regular basis and they really do make a difference.”

The youngest of the Gilbert family, 8-month-old Jordan, is not sick with the disease but also stays with the family at the Ronald McDonald House.

The Gilbert family plans on staying at the Ronald McDonald House in New Haven for at least three months because of no support from physicians in their home in Maine, Gilbert said.

The Philanthropy Chair of Alpha Delta Pi, senior Ali Rossetti, was pleased that Aaron and Elijah Gilbert were able to make it to the event.

“It was really awesome to have a family come,” Rossetti said. “It was a great way for them to see what we do for them and know how much we are raising for the Ronald McDonald House because it goes right to the house in New Haven. It was also great because Cathy Bignolas, the Ronald McDonald House director of the house in New Haven, was able to give the opening remarks.”

With a successful start to the event, members of Alpha Delta Pi said they hope to continue holding the Diamond Dash event for the future.

“This event was really successful, especially since it was the first time,” junior Rebecca Shenkman said. “I hope we can continue having this event and year we can make the event more popular.”

Alpha Delta Pi got the idea for this event at their leadership conference in March held in Maryland. After hearing about other chapters hosting their own Diamond Dashes, Alpha Delta Pi decided to bring it back to Quinnipiac.

“We had a lot of fun at this event,” Rossetti said. “We appreciate everyone who came out and hope to make next year even bigger.”