Guster to play at May Weekend

On April 25, Quinnipiac will host a concert in the gymnasium by the music group Guster as a feature event for this year’s May Weekend celebration.

Guster’s band members include Adam Gardner on vocals and guitar, Brian Rosenworcel on percussion and Ryan Miller also on vocals and guitar. Guster has had success from their past three albums, “Parachute”, “Goldfly”, and “Lost and Gone Forever”, and has a new album, Keep It Together, due out in June.

Guster’s members first met while attending Boston’s Tufts University in 1992. With their first album, they worked with Mike Denneen on “Parachute”, which came out in April 1994. Guster received a lot of commercial success. Back then they were known as GUS, but they changed their name to Guster in 1995.

Motivated by the great response from their fans, they released a second album in 1996, “Goldfly”, which was produced in California in the House of Blues. Some of their fans were so enthused that they traded live video tapes of the trio, and some even went so far as to work as unpaid reps for the band.

In 1997, they were named Best Live Act at the Boston Music Awards. After that, they were signed to Hybrid/Sire Records. This major label re-released “Goldfly” as a re-mix album in 1997.

The group’s first major label release was “Lost and Gone Forever” in September 1999. Their new producer Steve Lillywhite further improved Guster’s sound by adding woodwinds and brass.

Guster’s next album is due out for release in June 2003, titled “Keep It Together”. This is the type of album Guster has always wanted to make, and the reason they all started out in the first place. It is 12 tracks long, 13 if the special hidden track is counted.

According to Guster’s official web site, they said “write about what we know We’re stenographers…we transcribe life and put a little melody under it.”

A visit to their well organized web site reveals that these band members have a lot of personality and are not afraid to poke a little fun at themselves.

Under the question-and-answer section they even go so far as to discuss what they each do with their sweaty shirts after a concert. They handle the whole site with easy humor and that makes it fun to read.

For the Quinnipiac concert remember no bags, pocketbooks, cameras, drinks, or recording devices will be allowed in the gymnasium for security reasons.

The concert starts at 7 p.m.