Emergency plan grows

Since the outbreak of the war with Iraq, there has been heightened security worldwide with an emphasis on colleges and universities, since these have been cited as possible targets of terrorism.

With this in mind, the university remains firm in its emergency plan and is continually finding ways to improve its efficiency.

On March 26, Joe Rubertone, director of Facilities, spoke to the Student Government Association about the Crisis Management Team’s plan for the university. He informed them that the group is finalizing this plan, but does not want students to be alarmed – this is just a precautionary measure, not a sign of definite things to come.

A group that developed from the Crisis Management Team is the Emergency Medical Training and Crisis Management Committee. This group, headed by Associate Director of Facilities Robert Bisighini, has made immense progress since it began, according to Rubertone.

There are currently 53 students signed on as volunteers, hailing from various science fields on campus including the Physician Assistant and Nursing programs. These students are trained in areas such as CPR and First Aid, EMT, RN (registered nurse), Paramedic services, Red Cross, hazardous materials, AED (Automatic External Defibrillator) and crisis response team.

Students were contacted by e-mail, and lists were submitted to Bisighini by the heads of the science and medical departments who are a part of this group, including Lennart Johns, director of the Athletic Training/Sports Medicine Program; Michelle Geremia, director of entry-level Masters Physician Assistant Program; and Elizabeth McGann, chairperson of the Nursing Department. Johns has members of his staff who will be training volunteers in CPR and First Aid, and lists of necessary supplies are being compiled to get the emergency plans into place.

In addition to these students, many faculty and staff members have also volunteered. According to a list provided by Bisighini, the following are members of the Emergency Medical Training and Crisis Management Committee: Prof. Lisa Barratt, Prof. Ronald Beckett, Carol Boucher, Patricia Burke, Jeanne Clark, Prof. Jeanne LeVasseur, Prof. Cynthia Lord, Kathryn Macaione, Dean Edward O’Connor, Joseph Rubertone, Prof. Janice Thompson, Kathryn Tuttle and John Twining.

Bisighini said his group is near the final stages of finalization, looking into identifying clothing or vests for committee members and detailing the training programs for Security, Residential Life and Residence Assistants in the fall. They are investing in communications equipment, lighting and storage for supplies while developing alternative plans for the day and night.

There is yet to be a significant response from students with regard to the emergency telephone center, but Bisighini has heard from one student and one faculty member. If any students are interested in volunteering, they should use these contact numbers for various services: to volunteer for the emergency telephone center, call Lynn Bushnell, vice president for Public Affairs) at x8651; to volunteer a 4-wheel drive vehicle for emergency transport, or if you have any form of medical training, call Robert Bisighini at x8776.