Good Charlotte set to play concert in Hartford

Punk rockers Good Charlotte are set to play Hartford’s Civic Center April 26 and Quinnipiac is already getting a taste of their music from the campus radio station, WQAQ.

The concert will give Connecticut fans a chance to hear songs from the band’s second album, “The Young and the Hopeless,” released on Epic Records.

Good Charlotte was formed by twin brothers Benji and Joel Madden, and includes members Paul, on bass and Billy, playing guitar. Their latest album has boasted hits like “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous,” and “The Anthem,” both of which are currently climbing up the charts, effectively putting punk music on the map.

Cable network MTV has recently taken notice of the band. Brothers Benji and Joel currently host their own primetime music show, “All Things Rock,” and often make guest appearances on MTV’s hit afternoon show, “TRL.”

Student disc jockey and Good Charlotte fan Elizabeth Lehmann, feels that the band deserves more credit than they are getting from music fans. “I think listeners should give the band a shot in terms of music. Many listeners automatically assume that Good Charlotte is another boy band trying to be punk,” she said. “[Their] music is definitely a mix of punk and rock, and I wish people would not just judge them by their image.”

Lehmann says she often plays the band’s music on her weekly radio show “The Exodus of Emo,” aired on WQAQ Sunday mornings from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.

On the show, Lehmann said, “We usually play a lot of music from Good Charlotte and [similar bands] New Found Glory, Sum 41, and Catch 22. We love Good Charlotte and think they should be promoted and played more at WQAQ.”

Taking their name from a children’s book, Good Charlotte had to make their own connections in the music world, and began by recording their first demo tracks, writing a group biography, and sending materials to record companies that listed information in magazines.

Lehmann said she first found out about the group when they began to show up on television. “[This] was surprising because the media never really had punk bands like that on television. This coming of punk bands drew me into the music of Good Charlotte. I think they are amazing and they produce great sound. Their music makes me feel better about life.” .

Their self-titled debut album was released in late 2000, proving to be an important stepping stone for the band to achieve their current successes, which include a headlining tour with New Found Glory, sponsored by Honda Civic and MTV’s “TRL.”

Lehmann says listeners should hear Good Charlotte’s album before making any judgments as to their music style. She believes listeners aren’t giving the band enough of a chance to be heard.

“Too many people see them on TV and automatically think they are trying to be a fake punk band. They need to listen to the entire Good Charlotte album before they even begin to understand who the band is,” she said.

Music fans can find out who Good Charlotte really are when they come to town April 26, for a 7 p.m. show at the Hartford Civic Center.

Tickets are currently available through www.ticketmaster.com and all Ticketmaster outlets.