Admitted students take another look

On Friday, March 28 and Monday, March 31, about 1500 high school seniors came to visit Quinnipiac University for Admitted Students Day. This program has been going on for over 15 years and is meant to help students get a final look at the school before they make their final decision about what college to attend in the fall.

Parents came to visit with the students and were given a final tour, listened to a student and faculty panel and heard all the information they needed to know about the school.

Most students said they found Admitted Students Day very helpful. Quinnipiac students volunteered to give campus tours and to talk to the future students, answering any questions they need to know.

Three tour options were offered: a full campus tour, a dorm tour or an academic building tour. Many students had already seen the campus, but said they liked to see just the dorms for a final look to compare them to other schools they were thinking about.

Heidi Farber, associate director of Admissions, planned this important event. She organized the activities, student panel and assembled a large group of student volunteers to help out, talk to the visitors and give campus tours. She said she was very excited and loves planning this event.

Freshman students gave the majority of the tours, and said they wanted to make the day as fun as possible. For many, this day was one of the deciding factors on choosing Quinnipiac for them, so they said they wanted the day to go as well for others as it did for them in years past.

“Last year, after leaving from the day and seeing the campus one more time, I knew that I wanted to come here,” said Samantha Smith, freshman political science major. “I had a really good tour guide and she helped make the day better. I wanted to make others feel as excited as I was to come to Quinnipiac in the fall.”

Quinnipiac is aware of the parking problems and is always prepared to help control future problems. They had shuttle buses going from a church on Whitney Avenue to the Athletic Center parking lot to help ease the congestion.

Some parked on campus, but parents found it easier to use the shuttle system. One parent was impressed that the school had the shuttles planned and another said it really made the day run smoother, not having to worry about parking and possible tickets.

The staff in the admissions office said they were pleased with how smoothly the event ran. Every year, they try to make the day better and better in order to, they say, make the college transition run as easy and smooth as possible. The answer may come in the number of students who choose to come to campus permanently