The crazy tricks and unknown facts of April Fools Day

Aside from the typical religious holiday lies a day that is all in good fun. “What day is that?” some may ask. Well, the answer is April Fools Day.

The day is celebrated on the first of April. It is a day dedicated to fooling and playing practical jokes on people.

The point of the day is not to harm anyone or hurt people’s feelings, but merely to get a good laugh.

April Fools jokes are generally meant to be played on a friend or family member; not a stranger who could misinterpret certain actions.

Students mentioned various pranks they are planning to do, such as setting their roommates clocks an hour behind, so their roommates show up to the wrong class or do not wake up at all.

Other jokes are telling false stories, hiding prized possessions and making prank phone-calls.

“All I can say is, everyone better watch out for me,” said Mike Rubin, sophomore. “I am a big practical joker.”

Some practical jokes continue all day long if the victim hasn’t yet remembered what the holiday is.

“Last year I kept torturing my brother all day with little pranks,” said Jessica McFeely, freshman. “He didn’t figure it out until dinner time.”

The holiday dates back to sixteenth-century France when the start of the New Year was observed on April first.

In 1562, Pope Gregory introduced a new calendar for the Christian world, where the New Year fell on January first.

However, some people hadn’t been notified of the date change, or didn’t believe it, so they continued to celebrate New Year’s Day on April first.

Others played tricks on them and called them “April fools” because they were foolish not to realize the new calendar.

Pranksters then sent victims on a “fool’s errand,” trying to make them believe that something false was true.

In France today, April first is called “Poisson d’Avril.”

French children fool their friends by taping a paper fish to their friends’ backs. When the “young fool” discovers this trick, the prankster yells “Poisson d’Avril!” (April Fish!)