Golden Globe fashion bucks trends

You wouldn’t normally accessorize an evening gown with an umbrella, but on Jan. 17, the stars had no other option. Not even an unpredictable Los Angeles rain could wash out the attendees’ stunningly shining looks as they made their way down the red carpet at the 2010 Golden Globe Awards.

In Hollywood, fashion and trends are constantly changing frontrunners; stars are reinventing looks whenever possible. This red carpet event was no exception. Instead of unoriginal tight, sleek looks, stars blazoned dresses with ruffles and volume. Some were a fashion hit and some were a trainwreck miss.

Newcomer Anna Kendrick, co-star of “Up in the Air” with George Clooney, walked the red carpet in a ruffled Marchesa number. The off-white dress had a delicate diamond leaf design overlay as it wrapped up one shoulder. Side-swept hair pulled into a low bun and a white clutch completed her look.

“Inglourious Basterds” star Diane Krugar played up the voluminous ruffle trend and added a punch of color to boot. She wore a multilayered, tulle pink dress that had a tight bodice with a white bow at the waist and big, ruffled sleeves. The fashion forward star took a risk in this Christian Lacroix Haute Couture number, but she pulled it off. Her hair could have used a full updo because of the dramatics of the dress instead of her half-up do, however.

Following the ruffle trend and looking more overdone than anything, HBO’s “Big Love” star Chloe Sevigny walked down the rainy red carpet in a lilac Valentino gown. Ruffles took over both sides of the strapless dress, making Sevigny wider and puffier looking than she really is. Though the ruffles did look elegant cascading down her gown, it was overdone. Perhaps it was made clear that she went over and above in the name of fashion when an usher stepped on and ripped her gown and she had to change into a new one.

“Mad Men” star Christina Hendricks wore Project Runway winner Christian Siriano’s ruffled peach dress on awards night. Curvy, red-haired bombshell Hendricks took on Siriano’s dress effortlessly. The top of the gown was fitted and strapless while the skirt flowed out into soft ruffling tulles. Her pale skin, red lipstick and red hair really made the peach gown stand out.

Another trend of the evening was showing skin. Mariah Carey and Halle Berry both rocked plunging necklines down the red carpet. Carey wore a black Herve Leger for Max Azria dress with the popular bandage-like material. For Carey and her notoriously ample chest, the dress was one size too small and two inches low-cut. The classier choice of the two was Halle Berry’s Kaufman Franco black dress. Complete with lace trim all around, Berry’s choice rivaled Carey’s but had a look of sexy, not sleazy.

While stars usually flock to red, white or black dresses, this season, a good handful of actresses chose a deep purple hue for their gown. TV star Jane Krakowski checked two trends off the list in her one-shoulder, deep purple J. Mendel gown. Pulled together at the waist with a black beaded accessory, the dress hung on her body in the most flattering ways. “The Blind Side” star Sandra Bullock also followed suit in the eggplant color trend when she wore a Bottega Veneta strapless number. The bodice was fitted and flowed out into a sheer, layered purple skirt. The dress showed off Bullock’s toned legs in a classy fashion. Like Krakowski’s dress, actress Rose Byrne chose a shiny, deep purple fitted dress. Though hers was strapless, it also cinched together at the waist by means of delicate flower appliqué.

The Golden Globes not only kick off the season where actors award themselves for their work, they also kick off the trend of flaunting new styles, making best dressed lists and making fashion mistakes. This year was no exception.