What’s in and out this spring

April showers bring May flowers, retro styles and Capri pants.

This spring, there is no such thing as an outdated look.

According to Delma J. Francis of the Star Tribune, “The word for women’s spring and summer fashion is retro.”

There is an 80’s influence on everything including reference T-shirts, bright colors, and nude and peach tones.

“Lighter colors, but not pastels,” said Humphrey.

According to Glamour magazine, “Glam accessories, retro-inspired dresses, and bold strokes,” will be in this season

It seems as though it would be easier to shop in our mother’s and grandmother’s old closets than to buy a whole new wardrobe. The 1940’s through 1970’s are making a comeback with an underlying theme of femininity.

Soft, flirty, feminine fabrics and styles are on the rise.

“Designers are bringing back the best of those earlier decades – halter tops, spaghetti strap sundresses, Jackie Kennedy suits, peasant blouses,” said Francis.

According to the Black Swan Boutique, “A love affair between soft purples and pale turquoise. Pink is making a decided comeback and mid-length skirts with uneven and interesting hems will be the hot items. Linen now comes crinkled so the wrinkles don’t show.”

J.Crew manager, Kenny Hugs said women’s chinos, almost Capri length, have done well in their company.

“Cap sleeve stretch polo shirts are also popular and flip flops in everyone’s wardrobe,” said Huges.

Pinks of any shade and neutral colors are the company’s prediction for the spring.

The J.Crew look for men’s spring fashion is chinos in a faded look, known as distress wash. Men can also be found wearing bright colors such as red and light blues.

Pique polo shirts, the basic polo, are a major asset to any men’s wardrobe.

As far as accessorizing, men’s fabric striped belts are in style, and “one of the really hot items [at J.Crew] was the lobster hat,” said Huges.

The tiny lobster print was found on matching wallets for men and in a turtle print on Capris for women.

J.Crew mixes prints for their bathing suits and Urban Outfitters adds pizzazz by combining different styles.

“We like to do really contrasting things,” said Sam Humphrey, Urban Outfitters sales clerk. “We’re not your average jeans and T-shirts kind of place.”

Girly, lacey tops with fatigues and boyish accents are one of their hot styles.

Girls will also be seen walking around in casual sneakers such as Adidas and Pumas. While girls will be seen sporting knee length boy shorts and cargo pants, handkerchief and wraparound skirts will be in style for a more feminine look.

In honor of spring, flowers are everywhere, including fabric patterns, embroidered on slacks and tops and as embellishments on shoes and handbags.

A recent fashion show sponsored by Seventeen magazine, incorporated flowers in each model’s look to prepare for the trend.

Other patterns making a comeback include polka dots, paisleys, stripes and color-blocking.

Handbags that look like a work of art are the must-have accessory. Various designs such as mother of pearl, beadwork, and shiny art deco purses are making their own statement this season.

Short shorts are in this season as are equally stylish cargo Capri pants, long-tiered prairie skirts, crocheted tops and peasant blouses, cute little mini-dresses, and embroidered jeans.

Sara Rogers, trend correspondent for the Mall of America told the Tribune that all shades of pink are in including bubblegum, cotton candy, hot pink and mauve.

Rogers said blue runs a close second, followed by all other pastels.

“Of course, white always looks so new and fresh,” she said.

As for shoes, heel heights for sandals are high, medium, low and flat. In pumps, toes are the needle-point flaire from the ’60’s or the rounded look of the ’40’s.

Items that would normally be considered old fashioned are exactly what everyone is looking for.