50 Cent holds his own at top of music charts

He’s spent 11 weeks on the charts, holding steady at the number one spot like he owns it. You can’t go into a club without hearing his latest hit single. Many artists in the rap industry can’t wait to work with him. Like it or not, newcomer 50 Cent is a name that music fans will be hearing for a while to come.

Born Curtis Jackson, the rapper, who goes by the name 50 Cent, released his latest album, “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,” that features the hits “Wanksta” and “In Da Club,” on Feb. 4, 2003.

Growing up in an atmosphere of crime as a child led the rapper, now 26, to turn to music to escape his family struggles. He was first noticed by established rap group Run DMC, and was signed by member Jam Master Jay’s label JMJ.

After recording and publicizing his demo tracks made under JMJ, Columbia Records expressed interest in the rapper in 1999. 50 Cent released his debut disc “Power of a Dollar,” which was later named a classic album by Blaze Magazine. However, 50 Cent’s career with Columbia was abruptly terminated when he was shot in early 2000, and took an extended recovery period.

Once on his feet, fans began to take notice of this up-and-coming rapper, when hip-hop mega star Eminem repeatedly told the media and audiences 50 Cent was his favorite rapper.

A deal was inked to sign 50 Cent to Eminem and business partner Dr. Dre’s Shady/Aftermath record label soon after. His song “Wanksta” was prominently featured and promoted on the soundtrack to Eminem’s first feature film, “8 Mile,” released in 2002.

When 50 Cent released his latest album earlier this year, both the album and first single quickly shot to the top of the Billboard charts and gained airplay on MTV. His latest hit is the crowd-pleaser “In Da Club,” which provides a smooth hip-hop beat, and has become a club-goers anthem, a huge smash with teen rap fans.

His new album features collaborations with artists including Eminem, Young Buck, Nate Dogg and Lloyd Banks, and is produced by Dr. Dre. Songs detail 50 Cent’s experiences on the street, including his involvement with shootings and his mother’s death as a result of heavy drug use.

The 19 tracks on the CD appear more like an autobiography of 50 Cent’s life than just a hit album, but listeners must enjoy hearing of his life’s exploits, since the album is sure to be around for a long while.

50 Cent fans can check him out on the road throughout April, a tour that includes a stop at UCONN’s Storrs campus, on April 26.