PRSSA prepares students for jobs

The Public Relations Student Society of America, (PRSSA) is a student professional group on campus aimed at giving members an understanding of current theories and procedures in the public relations field.

PRSSA teaches members ethics, principles, and the awareness of an appropriate professional attitude that is needed to be successful in public relations. The organization is designed to teach, develop, and improve the quality of learning in the public relations field

A daughter group of the Public Relations Society of America provides valuable information for its members about aspects of the public relations field such as job and internship opportunities as well as many other valuable hands on skills that cannot be learned in text books.

The organization’s main mission is to provide access to professional development opportunities and to develop highly qualified, well-prepared professionals for the field of public relations.

One of the main benefits of PRSSA is the head start members have in the professional field. Through the PRSSA students will gain important contacts for internship and job opportunities that will later prove to be very helpful when entering the job field.

The PRSSA is planning a workshop in April where members will learn about entering the real world and finding jobs. Helpful hints will be given about interviewing for jobs and what you need to get a job in the PR profession.

PRSSA President Deborah Greaves strongly suggests PR majors to come to meetings.

“We are a new organization and are trying to expand our membership,” she said. “We have been very successful with finding internships and getting people to participate. We are opening the opportunity for people to join.”

In a typical meeting, updates are given about internships that are becoming available. Members who are already working in internships come back to share their experiences and information about working in public relations.

All majors are welcome into the program. Meetings are held every other week on Wednesdays in CLA 1 room 221. For more information on PRSSA you can send mail to P.O. Box #38.