Get the facts about alcohol

The college binge drinking rate is 44 percent. According to a recent report, the number of people who died from alcohol-related causes has soared in the last decade.

The study, by Alcohol Concern, found alcohol-related deaths officially recorded by hospitals increased by a third, from around 3,000 in 1986 to approximately 5,000 in 1997.

But the report claims the real number of all deaths connected with alcohol misuse is closer to 33,000.

There are dozens of statistics about alcohol just like these. One has seen the headlines, the billboards and the advertisements about drunk driving. Alcohol use and abuse has become a national tragedy. Possibly the oldest drug known to man, alcohol is the legal drug of choice.

According to a new study reported by Health Scout News, nine percent of the national workforce has alcohol-related problems, and the National Institute on alcohol abuse reports that “two-thirds of the population drink, but ten percent of all drinkers (those who drink most heavily) drink half of all alcohol consumed.”

Looking at the percetage, the truth about overindulging is that it’s unhealthful, unglamorous and just plain dangerous.

In attempts to avoid alcohol related deaths and maintain alcohol safety, there are many organizations designed for alcohol safety training, and programs that advise college students on how to avoid alcohol related problems.

There are many steps to alchol safety and awareness.

One suggestion is to choose substance-free housing. This means that you are not allowed to have alcohol on the premises – much the philosophy of a dry campus. With this type of housing, you give up being able to drink in your own room.

You should also be aware and think about the risks and consequences of drinking, including getting arrested or getting sick.

One incident of alcohol use could cause you to do something you will regret for the rest of your life.

Alcohol plays a part in most sexual assaults.

Don’t mix drinking with driving, drugs, or operating machines. Doing so can be fatal.

If you decide to drink, ways to prevent lethal occurances include knowing your limit and sticking to it or don’t drink any alcohol. Drink slowly. You are apt to drink less. Nursing one drink during a party. Take fake sips if necessary.

Eat when you drink because food helps to slow alcohol absorption. Alternate an alcoholic beverage with a non alcoholic one. Use non alcohol or reduced alcohol beverages.

Don’t drink distilled beverages straight. Dilute them. Use more and more mixer and less and less alcohol. After two drhinks, your taste buds are dulled and you won’t be able to notice much difference.

The best answer is to be a responisible drinker. Don’t drink if you plan to drive. When going out with a group or as a couple, it is important to pick a designated driver in advance.

If anything does indeed happen to a friend of yours at a party in which he or she drinks too much, take the proper steps to help him or her.

If someone is passed out from drinking too much alcohol, make sure that he or she is on his or her side. If they are on their backs, they could choke if they regurgitate the alcohol.

Get help from a medical official as soon as possible. Worry about the person’s health and the consequences of the alcohol on their body.

The decision between the school’s consequences from drinking alcohol and your life is no hard decision.