Men’s soccer shutout 3-0 by Monmouth

In what became a one-sided game, the Quinnipiac men’s soccer team suffered a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of the Monmouth Hawks on Thursday. The physicality and aggressiveness of the visiting team made it challenging for the Bobcats to find decent scoring opportunities.

Early on, the Hawks took control when senior midfielder Matt Beverin dribbled up the right side and delivered a perfect cross to junior midfielder/forward Francois Navarro who kicked it in for the first goal of the game, 6:09 in.

Then, at the 10:35 mark, Quinnipiac (4-5-2, 2-1-1 NEC) sophomore goalkeeper Borja Angoitia attempted to grab the ball but missed which led to another Monmouth (7-3-2, 2-1-1) goal. This time, it was senior forward Alex Weidman, assisted by junior midfielder Joseph Schmid to extend the Hawk’s lead to 2.

The Bobcats stepped up the effort after the early deficit and played solid defense forcing difficult shot attempts and quelling three consecutive late half corner kicks. Their improved defense, however, did not yield and offensive results as their opponent was unrelenting on both halves of the field.

Quinnipiac started the second half on the offensive earning a couple of good looks, but a handball roughly five minutes into the half led to a free kick right outside the box. Novarro took a quick shot while the defense was being setting up and placed it into the right corner of the net, for his second goal of the game and what would be the final goal of the game.

Quinnipiac head coach Eric Da Costa, said he did not prepare differently for Monmouth even though they were facing the seven-time defending NEC champions (a fact he made sure to point out). He did note that there were many “mental breakdowns” and that his players “fell asleep at the wrong time.” When they review the game, they “will be disappointed” in their performance. He also felt that there “needs to be better communication” among his young defensive line.

Da Costa wants his team to “move forward” and prepare for their game against Bryant University on Sunday, Oct. 14. Despite the lack of offense Thursday, he is not concerned with their production and is ready to earn another conference win.