QU to host senior citizens

The Sociology/Gerontology Association is preparing to hold its annual Intergenerational Day, a time when Quinnipiac students have the opportunity to be paired with senior citizens from the greater New Haven area.

The organization is a community service club that encompasses members of sociology, gerontology, anthropology and criminal justice majors to get involved and help enhance their community.

The organization volunteers at senior citizen centers, homeless centers and soup kitchens.

Members also volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, the Alzheimer’s Association, and Toys For Tots.

Members volunteer at the Boys & Girls Club of New Haven and help children with their homework, play games, and sports once a week.

“The Sociology/ Gerontology Association is dedicated to making our community better… and having fun while doing it,” said organization President Michelle Santiago. “Helping a homeless child or a lonely senior citizen gives you an unparalleled sense of fulfillment.”

The Intergenerational Day is an all-day event during which senior citizens from the Jewish Community Center of Greater New Haven spend a day on campus.

The day starts off with breakfast. Then the seniors are brought to classes with designated professors. They participate in classes throughout the day and then have lunch before leaving campus.

The Sociology/Gerontology Association is also looking for a new name that represents all majors in the organization.

All suggestions are welcome and can be brought to meetings or dropped in P.O. Box #44.

Meetings are held informally once a month and have a laid back atmosphere. In a typical meeting, members discuss activities the organization is planning for the future, as well as possible programs members want to incorporate into the agenda.

This organization is interested in input from the group.

Last year the group consisted of only four members. This year there are over forty-six members on their mailing list and they are open for more people to help out and join.

“We are informal, community-focused, and member-oriented: a great mix for a successful Quinnipiac organization,” said Santiago.

“I would recommend our association to anyone looking for a way to better the lives of those less fortunate. Give it a try. Trust me, it’s worth it.”

For more information contact [email protected], Sarah Pipicelli at [email protected]., or e-mail faculty adviser Professor Bruce at [email protected].