Co-ed fraternity welcomes new members to service

Quinnipiac’s sororities and fraternities held rush week during the middle of the month. During this week, Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed fraternity on campus. held events and information sessions for students who were interested in joining.

According to Suzanne Conway, head of Public Relations for the organization, these events encouraged students to become acquainted with the organization and helped them “decide whether or not the organization is for them.”

Besides attending the information sessions, students made cards for U.S. soldiers overseas in what is referred to as a military mail service project.

On Feb. 23, the fraternity held a welcoming ceremony for new pledges. Any student was able to join at that point, regardless of whether or not they took part in the week of activities.

“The benefits of being a member of Alpha Phi Omega are the feelings of accomplishment after completing a service project, and the new friends that you gain,” said Tara Yusko, president. “Alpha Phi Omega is like being in a family and many great and close friendships are made between our members.”

The organization, whose motto is “Leadership, Friendship, and Service,” abides by such words.

Service is the main priority of the group, but leadership and friendship are attained along the way. “I’ve met some of my best friends [through the fraternity],” said Conway. “It’s a great group of people who love to do service.”

In the next few weeks, the organization will hold a daffodil sale to raise money for the American Cancer Society. They will also hold a school supply drive, during which they will collect school supplies from students and send them to a school in Nicaragua.

In addition to these activities, Alpha Phi Omega members will participate in an MS Walk.

Alpha Phi Omega has also helped out with a Head Start program, volunteering at the Brooksvale Park Festival, and helping to create a children’s playroom at the 4 C’s.

Recently, the co-ed fraternity has embraced service projects such visiting Laurel Gardens Nursing Home, where they played games and socialized with the elderly residents.

Above all, the approximately 25 Alpha Phi Omega members said they enjoy the time spent with friends just as much as they enjoy doing the service projects. “It’s fun to be able to do service alongside your friends and have fun while doing a service to society,” said Conway.

In the future, Alpha Phi Omega is planning several activities, such as tutoring Hamden’s high school students, working with both the boy and girl scouts, and helping out with little siblings’ weekend by hosting a scavenger hunt.

For more information contact Alpha Phi’s president [email protected].