Cheerleaders gain respect in competition

Dedicated, determined, and enthusiastic, are all ways to describe the Quinnipiac cheerleading team.

The twenty-six girls that make up the squad have shown true team work this season. The team has already had success so far, and continues to achieve even more.

On January 25, at the Wildcat Cheer and Dance Open held at Western Connecticut State University, the Bobcat cheerleaders won second place in their division.

The cheerleaders have been more competitive this season than ever before. With practices three days a week, in addition to gymnastic training once a week, it is no surprise that they have been so successful thus far.

The rigorous practice schedule is showcased when the team cheers on both the men’s and women’s basketball teams at their games.

The girls are hoping to place again at their upcoming competitions.

On February 22, at Rhode Island College sponsored by the New England Cheerleaders Association, the Quinnipiac cheerleaders will compete.

One of the most anticipated competitions of the season will be held on March 2, inside the Quinnipiac gym. Sponsored by the Connecticut Spirit Association, the Spirit Festival is a great opportunity to watch the QU cheerleaders in action. The cheerleaders are hoping that all the QU fans come out and support this talented team.

The cheerleading team is led by coach MaryAnn Powers, and captains Kiera Casanova, Michelle Mancini, and Susan Piechowicz.

Powers has been coaching at Quinnipiac for five years. “This is the best team I have ever had” she said.

Megan Tammany a sophomore, and member of the team said, “Everyone on the team is hard-working, and dedicated, it is great. The most important thing is we want people to realize that we are athletes.”