Nine Women give to Shelter

Spring Break for most college students is a time to temporarily abandon the responsibilities of school and enjoy a week of fun and relaxation.

While many will migrate to Spring Break hot spots in search of pure enjoyment, nine female Quinnipiac students will be headed for a far less self-indulgent trip to help victims of domestic violence.

Resident Assistants Jill Alden, Stacey Bennett, Robin Duguay, Terricca Glasford, Katherine Hagenow, Cali Hettrich, Lindsay Holmes, Felicity Melillo and Jessica Sapel will fly to Barbados to work at a women’s shelter.

They will help paint a run-down shelter, and will also bring clothing and donated supplies to the victims and their children.

The shelter is the first of its kind in Barbados and is located in a secret location. Men are not allowed on the premises.

The women are brought to the shelter after calling a toll-free number and are picked up in secrecy, often leaving with nothing more than the clothes on their back.

This is the first trip organized through the Albert Schweitzer Institute, a non-profit organization based at Quinnipiac which promotes international programs that incorporate volunteerism and education.

David Ives, executive director of the Albert Schweitzer Institute, said he hopes the students will gain experience and an understanding of another culture, [and] the terrible acts of violence on women in a culture that accepts it more than here.

He found out about the shelter while in Barbados meeting with the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) and thought this would make a good first project.

Ives hopes this trip will help Quinnipiac get its foot in the door for further programs in the English-speaking Caribbean.

The students will meet with PAHO to bring in department heads to discuss other programs Quinnipiac can become involved in.

RA Robin Duguay was among the driving forces which organized the program and is looking forward to her experience.

“I’m thrilled. I’m so excited we were able to pull this off,” she said.

Because the students are primarily paying their way to the island, the RA’s are collecting soda cans and raffling off a parking space behind Irma.

Students interested in helping can purchase raffle tickets at the table in the Student Center and can talk to any RA for details concerning the can drive.

Quinnipiac also asks that students donate clothes and toys for women and children of all ages.

Students interested in making a donation can contact David Ives at x3140 or contact any of the participating RA’s.