Students advised to prepare for Fair

Quinnipiac University’s 19th annual Career Fair will take place on Feb. 20 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Recreation Center. This event is part of a four week series of programs entitled “Making the Most Out of College” and is sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs.

The Career Fair presents an opportunity for all students to interact with potential employers and to learn what types of careers are available to them. Representatives from companies offering job opportunities, internships, and summer employment will be present to meet with students and distribute information about their respective companies.

Students will also have the opportunity to network and distribute their resumes to companies they are interested in, without even setting foot off campus.

Quinnipiac’s graduate and law schools will also be present for students interested in continuing their academic studies.

Contrary to popular belief, the Career Fair is not only for seniors. Underclassmen can benefit by exploring and gaining information about majors and future career possibilities.

Marla Buono, assistant director of career programs, urges students planning on attending the fair to start preparation now. Students are invited to utilize Career Services to prepare for the event.

Buono recommends that students attend the workshops Career Services is offering prior to the fair, as well as have their resumes critiqued by their staff.

Students can also visit the Career Services website for a listing of companies that will be attending the event.

“Students should use this list to research companies they are interested in. Also, if there is a company you are interested in seeing, let us know, and we will do our best to bring them to the event,” said Buono.

Students should plan to bring at least 10-20 copies of their resumes and dress appropriately and professionally on the day of the fair.

For all the preparation involved, Buono feels that this is an extremely worthwhile and rewarding event for students.

“I encourage all students to attend the fair, even if they are not looking for a job yet. It will get them accustomed to the process and to what typically goes on at these types of events,” she said.

For more information about the Career Fair, students can visit the Career Services website or contact Marla Buono at x8680.