Workshops prove advantageous to university students

Every November, colleges and universities nationally recognize Career Development Month. This month is an opportunity to encourage educators and career development professionals to work together to provide outstanding career development and career opportunities for students.
    Starting on Nov. 6 and running through to Nov. 20, the department of Career Services offered several programs highlighting Career Development Month.
    “This is a great program to bring attention to services that can help student development,” said Susan Hyde-Wick, assistant director of Career Services.
    During the first workshop, “Liberal Arts Networking Reception,” alumni came to speak with students about their career paths and gave specific advice to particular majors. At the end of the program, students were allowed to network closely with the alumni in a question and answer session.
    The next workshop, “Beyond Monster: Using the Internet to Apply for Jobs,” offered effective Internet tools and how to proceed successfully with them when searching for jobs or internships.
    The “Finding Your Way To Graduate or Professional School” program had Louise Howe, the associate director of Graduate Admissions & Financial Aid, lecture to prospective graduate students on the nuts and bolts of the graduate school process.
    Hyde-Wick also led a practice admissions essay workshop, which consisted of brainstorming answers to questions designed to help students come up with essay topics.
    “The Future Entrepreneur,” co-sponsored by Students In Free Enterprise (SIFE), provided information to students interested in starting up their own businesses.
    Another workshop, called “Career One-Shot” guided students through such skills as writing a resume, learning successful interview skills, job search strategies and developing professional practices.
    The last workshop presented during November’s Career Development Month “Yoga: Clear Your Mind” helped students relax their bodies and clear their minds.
    “Students can tap more efficiently into their intuition when relaxed and career decision making comes easier,” said Hyde-Wick.
    The career workshops like these are made available every year to students.
    “The workshops are primarily focused on juniors and seniors,” said Hyde-Wick, “but it is a great starting off point for freshman and sophomores to begin thinking about what they want to do when they get out of college.”
    Many Quinnipiac students take advantage of what Career services has to offer. Erika Delco, a junior undecided liberal arts major, takes advantage of the counseling programs and workshops held throughout the academic year.
    “I feel that the services they provide are extremely effective,” she said. “The career counselors give me the guidance and the tools to be a successful student along with the necessary career goals for the future.”