Late night madness hits QU campus

Last Thursday night in the Burt Kahn Gymnasium, crowds of students, members of the Quinnipiac community and faithful fans adorned in yellow and blue emanated true Quinnipiac spirit.
    Jack McDonald, director of Athletics and Recreation, believed that this was an astonishing night because of the celebration of the newly constructed Recreation Center and an introduction to the university’s new mascot, Boomer the Bobcat.
    “Last night proved the whole process of the changing to a new mascot, the bobcat,” said McDonald. “We can now express ourselves through an active mascot with a nickname and a song. The Bobcat has been proven to be the perfect name.”
    The 7th Annual Thursday Night Madness got off to a great start with the pep band parade down dorm road and into the new Recreation Center. The doors opened at 6:30 p.m. for those with tickets only and each class distributed novelties. The senior class received a Bobcat static sticker, the junior class a Bobcat foam paw, the sophomore class bandannas and the freshman class headbands.
    The Dave Binder concert started at 7 p.m. He enlightened the crowd to songs like Billy Joel’s “Piano Man,” the Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker,” John Mayer’s “Your Body is a Wonderland,” and Jimmy Buffet’s “Cheeseburger in Paradise.” He also performed the “Quinnipiac Song” to the rhythm of “Bully Bully.”
    The Dance Mode squad put on a hip-hop dance routine to a mix of music from DJ Kool’s “Let Me Clear My Throat,” Justin Timberlake’s “Like I Love You,” and Sean Paul’s “Gimme the Light.”
    The Dance Company’s routine was made up of different dance styles such as ballet, lyrical, tap and jazz to songs, like Daniel Bedingfield’s “Gotta Get Thru This” and Barry Harris’s “Let’s Get Soaking Wet”.
    “I enjoy participating in Madness every year,” said junior journalism major Amy Dziobek, a member of the Dance Company. “Everyone works so hard and all of the students and members of the Quinnipiac community really get into it.”
    From various artists such as the Venga Boys, Nelly, Pink and Missy, the Kickline squad dazzled the crowd with their high kicks in sequence.
    “Madness was a great way to kick off Bobcat pride at Quinnipiac,” said John Rizzolo, the freshman class president. “I was glad to see all the freshman there representing their class. They stayed showing their spirit until the very end.”
    Some freshman had different opinions.
    “It could have been better,” said freshman psychology major Charlene Dottin. “But overall it was a great event that got a lot of the Quinnipiac students together.”
    There were four shootout contests held in between each of the performances. SGA class cabinets selected one male and one female from each class to participate. The first shot that had to be taken was a lay up. If the shot was made, a participant would receive a Bobcat t-shirt and a Villa Pizza gift certificate.
    Next, if a foul shot were made, he or she would receive two tickets to the QU- UCONN game. The three point shot was for $1000 tuition credit and the half-court shot for $5000 tuition credit. All participants made the lay up, but unfortunately no one made the three point shot to win the tuition credit.
    Soon the game clock was set at 15:00 and a procession was led into the gym to introduce the SGA and the fall and winter athletic teams.
    Finally when the clock’s buzzer went off the arrival and introductions to the Varsity Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams took place.
    Students of the Quinnipiac community felt it was a great night of surprises.
    “Thursday Night Madness made my life!” said sophomore physician assistant major Chrissy Penmen. “Thanks for the headbands.”
    Along with the opening of the new Recreation Center, there was something else unveiled that night. Quinnipiac University unleashed its newest member to the community, Boomer the Bobcat. Many students wanted to express their thoughts on the new nickname of the Bobcat mascot.
    “I think Boomer is a creative name that will bring better luck to our sports teams,” said junior media production major Joe Wannat.
    Junior accounting major Stacey Hallquest had a slightly different opinion.
    “I’m not a huge fan of the name, but as long as it brings about more school spirit I’m happy,” she said.
    McDonald was pleased with what Thursday Night Madness came to be.
    “There was an incredible team effort, everyone was involved,” he said. “All the organizations, clubs, and athletic teams did their parts perfectly. Students came with enthusiasm and spirit and in a good manner.”