Change of atmosphere for faculty and students

Imagine waking up in the morning and stepping out of your room in your slippers, only to walk a few steps down the hall to get to class. This may be the case for students next semester when Quinnipiac brings the classroom to the students.
    Starting in the spring 2003 semester, the English department is offering a pilot program in which the EN 102-Elements of Composition II classes will be held in the lounges of two freshmen residential halls, the Commons and the Ledges.
    There are over 80 sections of this course to choose from, some of which are designated specifically for residents in the Commons and the Ledges. The English department expects classes to have approximately 12 to 16 people in them.
    According to Jean Blue, associate dean of Liberal Arts, there has been some talk on campus about creating a connection between learning and living.
    “We are very excited,” said Blue. “The program will bring academics to residential life.”
    Blue said the English department is going to be very careful in evaluating the new experience. The department is not sure how it will work out, and it will depend on the actual experience to see if it is a good program.
    “It is an experiment to see how successful the dorm is as a learning environment,” said Leonard Engel, chairperson for the English department. “If it is not effective, then we will go back into the traditional classroom.”
    There are no other plans at this time for other classes to be taught in the residence halls. According to the English department, EN 102 seemed like a natural course to start with.
    “We chose writing courses because all freshmen have to take them,” said Christine Ross, director of the freshmen writing program.
    According to Ross, the program will give people new to campus a chance to meet others and become better acquainted.
    “I support the idea,” said Margo Eskelund, a freshmen mathematics major. “If you are in a more comfortable setting, you will be able to concentrate better.”