Quinnipiac in Washington

Quinnipiac University is once again offering students the opportunity to experience the intricate workings of the nation’s capital during the winter intersession.
    The intensive two-week course, this year occurring from Jan. 5 through Jan. 17, provides exposure to all facets of the district’s unique political and media environments. Students receive lecture from nationally renowned academic orators and celebrity guest speakers such as Sam Donaldson and Ted Koppel, and travel extensively throughout the city, visiting high-powered lobbying firms, government institutions and national media outlets, including the National Press Club.
    Participating students will be housed in apartment style accommodations in Arlington, Va. Each apartment is equipped with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, and is in walking distance of the metro, Washington’s fast, inexpensive and convenient subway system.
    Interested students should register for PO 280, Congress and the Presidency, during pre-registration, and attend a mandatory meeting on Nov. 15 at 4 p.m. in CLA-3, room 303. Students who have already taken PO 280 can apply to take the course as an independent study. Those interested in this option should obtain an application form for the liberal arts department and find a faculty sponsor.
    Registration for PO 280 is limited to 12 students, and the course will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. Students who cannot register may contact faculty liaison Professor Scott McLean by e-mail the day after pre-registration to secure a spot on the waiting list.
    Almost 50 students were present at on Oct. 29 informative meeting, a turnout that signifies increased political enthusiasm.
    Said McLean, “The apathetic QU student is a myth. If students have an opportunity to get involved in public service, they will line up to do it.”
    PO 280 is a three-credit course that will count towards the spring semester. All housing and tuition costs are equivalent to regular QU costs and will be appear on the student’s spring semester bill. Participants are required to pay for their own transportation and food. If unable to register, students may take the course for no credit, but costs will remain the same.