Students take protein shakes to gain muscle

Getting an accurate amount of protein for one’s diet is important in meeting specific workout goals. Protein supplements include specialized powder products to provide athletes or amateur students with a consistently balanced body.
    “Protein supplements can be a benefit to some people, but only if they use them in conjunction with a fitness program,” said Makeba Davis, head coach of the women’s volleyball team at Quinnipiac.
    According to the GNC web site, protein provides essential amino acids needed to form muscle growth, but protein is not produced in the body. By using a nutrition supplement or eating healthy food while weight lifting, students can produce the protein they need to maximize their fitness goals.
    Whether it is to gain bulky muscle, tone and muscle muscle or to gain weight first and then build muscle, protein supplements can accommodate all of these possibilities.
    Students can judge the supplement’s efficiency based on the absorption rate, said Davis. Depending on the student’s goal or personal finances, a supplement program can consist of a short-term, high intensity workout, which gives the body a high protein absorption rate. Other students may prefer a long term, moderate intensity workout with a slow protein absorption rate into the body.
    Quinnipiac students share the benefits and the disadvantages of using protein supplements.
    Quinnipiac junior Grant Cardillo started using protein supplements after his friend, who goes to a personal trainer, educated him about various products.
    “My goal was to gain weight and the supplements helped do that,” said Cardillo, a communications major. “The quality of healthy food was another factor that helped me gain more weight.”
    Cardillo used two protein supplements, Surge and Precision, over the summer and continues this semester. Cardillo’s program consists of four, one hour-long weight-lifting sessions. At the end of each workout, he drinks one Surge powder protein shake. He also uses Percision, a meal replacement shake, at the end of each day to add on the weight.
    Quinnipiac junior Dennis Voskov, a media production major, said the powder protein supplement, Myoplex, did not provide the body enhancement he wanted.
    “I wanted bigger muscles, and the supplement I used did not work,” said Voskov. After using the product with a two in half month program, Voskov saw no results in muscle mass. His program started when a serious lifting partner encouraged him to try the supplements.
    The program consisted of four, one and a half hour-long weight-lifting sessions. He had one Myoplex shake in the morning or afternoon, and one shake after his workout.
    Davis suggested students learn about supplements before trying them.
    “Students should research supplements and gain a general understanding of the product before using it with their workout,” said Davis, who also works as a personal trainer. He said students should also sample each product and check the ingredients to see if it is acceptable for their body.
    “I’m an advocate of supplements, but I don’t impose them on anyone,” said Davis.
    Students can purchase protein supplements at a local department store, a GNC store or by shopping online. The GNC store in the Hamden plaza on Dixwell Avenue offers three new name brand products, including Nitro Tech, 2lbs. for $40, Mega Whey, a GNC performance product with 14 servings for $34.99, and Designer Whey, 2lbs. for $30.