New Road to be repaved

Over Thanksgiving break, New Road will be repaved as required by the town of Hamden. The repaving will be done by Quinnipiac University from the Sherman Avenue/Whitney Avenue intersection, to the New Road/Ives Street (Route 22) intersection.
    Joseph D. Rubertone, director of Facilities, explained why the repaving is taking place.
    “As part of the conditions of approval for the residence halls, the town’s regulations are that we had to pave Sherman Avenue from Whitney Avenue, to the bridge, and from the bridge to Mount Carmel Avenue,” said Rubertone.
    According to Rubertone, when the Dean Robert W. Evans College of Liberal Arts Center was built, Quinnipiac University ran a sewer line from where the yellow excavator (backhoe) is now, to the middle of the Pine Forrest. When that line was run, New Road was torn up. After the line was put in, Quinnipiac University paved New Road.
    Quinnipiac University was still required to pave Sherman Avenue to the bridge, and from the bridge to Mount Carmel Avenue. Since the road was newly paved, and deemed in fair shape, Quinnipiac University offered to go in the opposite direction from the Sherman Avenue/Whitney Avenue intersection, to the New Road/Ives Street (Route 22) intersection, according to Rubertone.
    The second part of this deal, according to Rubertone, was that Quinnipiac University was required by the State of Connecticut Traffic Commission to improve the New Road and Route 22 intersection. The widening occurred this past summer and was managed and paid for by the university.
    “We are not doing the stretch from the bridge to Mount Carmel Avenue,” said Rubertone. “We are going from the bridge to Route 22, even though that is longer than what was required to do initially.”