Behind the scenes with 112

In a survey given out to all freshmen at spring orientation, students showed a huge interest in rap and R&B music, including current hits by the group 112.
    Therefore, 112 was chosen to perform at Quinnipiac on Nov. 17.
    According to the Student Programming Board, choosing bands to play at Quinnipiac University is an exciting task, but can be difficult to find something everyone will enjoy.
    “The decision is made by a combination of factors,” said Kevin Supple, concert chair of the SPB. “We have to find a band that’s in our price range, available when we want them, someone who is interested in playing on a college campus and one who our middle agent can arrange.”
    When that criterion is met, the SPB executive board votes on a decision.
    Most colleges and universities in the country have a middle agent who helps them find bands to give concerts. Middle agents are affiliated with colleges and large agents, who can directly connect with the bands and help arrange the details.
    “It’s much easier this way, because big groups do not want to have to deal with thousands of colleges that want to see them,” Supple said.
    The middle agents have large lists of bands, the availability dates and prices on a link for groups such as SPB to look at. Supple can go to the web site any time to see who is available and other concert details.
    Different bands charge different prices for a show. For example, if Ashanti sang at Quinnipiac, SPB would have to pay $40,000, while Jay-Z would cost $75,000. Supple said 112 will cost about $35,000 minimum, which includes lights, sound and hospitality.
    Part of each student’s tuition costs goes into a fund for activities such as concerts allocated each year by the Student Government Association.
    Supple said hospitality is an additional cost bands charge, for example for different items in their dressing rooms.
    Some items 112 asked for are full-length mirrors, lighted make-up mirrors, end tables, halogen corner lamps, a black sofa and a love seat.
    Supple said not all demands can be met all the time, but the university tries to please the bands as best as they can. Some singers might do a short, poor quality show if they do not have all the desired items in their dressing rooms.
    Supple said the opening acts set the tone for a concert. If there is going to be a rap concert, the opening act would not be a rock or punk band, since the openers have to set the right mood for the main show. 112 will hear a sample of the opening band and see whether they like it or not.
    “They absolutely have to approve it, or we have to find something else,” Supple said.
    Many groups already have an opening act, but usually only if it is a large concert venue, not a small college show. Supple has been working on finding an on-campus R&B group to start the show and get the crowd excited.
    Tickets for the Nov. 17 concert cost $10 and are only available to Quinnipiac undergraduate students. The tickets are sold Monday through Friday 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. in the Student Center.