Residents take root at York Hill

Students kept digging at York Hill on Friday afternoon, planting trees to celebrate Arbor Day.

[media-credit id=1716 align=”alignright” width=”225″][/media-credit]Twenty-nine members of Students for Environmental Action, faculty and student volunteers planted 22 trees around the hilly campus, such as paper birch, red maple, tulip trees, and white pines.

Trees were planted behind Crescent and Eastview, and next to the parking garage along the hill heading down York Hill.

“We had discussed how although York Hill has the wind turbines which are great for sustainability, that there were so many trees cut down to build York,” SEA Operations Manager Alexandra Ricci said. “We decided to make a small dent and replant some that were lost.”

Volunteers were given a map of the campus indicating the approved spots by both SEA members and facilities.

Associate Vice President of Facilities Operations Keith Woodward said he is impressed with the work SEA was doing to celebrate Arbor Day, and all year round.

“The entire SEA group has been fantastic this year with the various sustainability projects they have worked on and this past Friday with the planting of the trees was another example,” Woodward said.

Students demonstrated the true spirit of teamwork, as well as a guiding hand from Biomedical Sciences Professor Kristen Wolfe, and member of the QU Sustainability Committee.

“I was happy to see some QU students from SEA continue the spirit of Earth Day by recognizing Arbor day,” Wolfe said. “They gave up their Friday afternoon to give some trees back to the mountain and the York Hill community. The ‘A’ in SEA stands for action, and this group lives up to its name.”

SEA encourages the student body to join their cause of pursuing a vision of a sustainable and environmentally-friendly community at Quinnipiac. The organization recently has had more than 1,000 people sign a petition, in hopes of having a sustainability coordinator come to Quinnipiac.

The members also hope to keep “green” traditions alive at Quinnipiac.

“I hope that this becomes an annual tradition that remains at our school for many years to come,” senior Rosalyn Valdez said. “By making small changes in our daily lives we can make a huge difference that will help our world become a better place for future generations to live in.”