Unveiling of mascot and recreation center

The unveiling of the new Quinnipiac mascot and the opening of the new recreation center will be part of the celebrated festivities during “Thursday Night Madness” on Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. in the Athletic Center.
    “We had great feedback at last year’s Madness event,” said Jack McDonald, director of the Athletic Department. “But this year I am anticipating much more excitement and spirit because this is the unveiling of two very great things, the newly expanded recreation center and a new mascot.”
    Sponsored by the Student Government Association and the Department of Athletics and Recreation, several events will take place during the day to honor the new Recreation Center expansion.
    From 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., there will be tours of the new center and at 4 p.m. there will be a dedication of the recreation center and a three-on-three student basketball tournament.
    Other events will begin with a parade down Dorm Road at 6:30 p.m.
    “SGA representatives will be there that night helping to create an amazing night full of surprises,” said Maria Canella, senior class representative of SGA.
    Dave Binder is scheduled to play at 7:30 p.m. There will be shooting contests, chances to win tuition credits and performances by the QU Kickline, Dance Mode, Dance Company, Pep Band and the Cheerleaders.
    “We are hoping that with the new mascot the bobcat, pride will increase,” said Canella. “This Thursday Night Madness promises to be the start of a great season.”
    The only thing missing is the name of the Bobcat mascot.
    “We really hope that students will give us advice about the name,” said Lynn Bushnell, vice president of Public Affairs. “We are looking for something that is gender neutral, if possible. There are a huge amount of possibilities. We just need the creativity of student minds to help us.”
    The name of the Bobcat will be dependent on the student responses. If enough suggestions have come in before that night, the name may be decided on and unveiled with the mascot. However, Bushnell said some people might want to see what the mascot looks like before making a suggestion of a name.
    “It’s going to be much more fun at games to have a mascot,” said Bushnell.
    The Athletics department will start auditioning people for who will be the mascot on Nov. 3. There will be two people and two costumes.
    At Thursday Night Madness, both Bobcats will appear, but at games there will only be one Bobcat at a time.
    “I don’t think any one single person would be able to go to all the games of the season,” said Bushnell. “At least not while still going to school.”
    Rumors that a live bobcat would be brought to the school are false.
    “I don’t think we’ll have live Bobcats or stuffed Bobcats here,” said Bushnell. “That would go against the effort of the Save the Bobcats Foundation.”
    The university will start the foundation soon, and its main purpose will be to educate people about bobcats. Bushnell said she has done some research about the animal, as her position required.
    In addition to the excitement of the new mascot for the school, the student-run club Crazy Cats will be debuting.
    Members will receive perks such as first priority on play-off tickets to Quinnipiac sporting events. New members will receive a free t-shirt with the club’s motto, “Go Crazy, or Go Home!”
    “SGA is very proud and happy to help with such a good cause,” said Canella. “We encourage all our seniors to be there. It promises to be an amazing night.”
    Admission to this event is free, but every student must have a ticket to gain entrance. 1500 tickets will be distributed starting the week of the Nov. 10. Student Identification is required to receive a ticket.
    The official Thursday Night Madness schedule is posted on the Quinnipiac Bobcats Official web site. Name suggestions can be emailed to Bobcats@ quinnipiac.edu.
    Information for this article was provided by Viktoria Sundqvist.