Harvard grad plays acoustic set in Complex

The sun was shining, the Student Programing Board was BBQing, and a constant stream of students were flowing in and out of Complex Courtyard as musician Mieka Pauley played an hour long acoustic set last Tuesday.

“I’ve always wanted to play music. I played in rock bands in high school,” Pauley said. “My Dad’s side of the family is musical. I actually just found out that my uncle used to do what I’m doing now, which is really cool.”

Pauley, who cites Patty Griffin and Jeff Buckley as some of her musical influences, wowed listeners with her soft, unique voice and soulful lyrics. As a Harvard student, she spent some of her time street performing and began pursuing music seriously right after graduating.

Pauley’s soulful sound combined with the location, great weather and smell of SPB’s barbeque made for a fun event freshman Chelsea Beytas said.

“SPB should try to do more events like this next  year,” she added.

Freshman Nikki Barba agreed. She said she wished more events like this occurred, especially during early fall and spring.

The crowd was not only be pleased with the free food and great weather, but Mieka, too.

“Mieka played a really great show,” said Beytas. “She reminds me of Ingrid Michaelson with her mellow vibes. I liked her a lot and certainly look forward to listening to her more in the future.”

Overall, the event proved to be a success and certainly left students looking forward to more nights like this in the future.

Pauley’s album, The Science of Making Choices will be released in June. Students should  buy it if they enjoyed her show. For those interested in seeing her live again, she’ll be playing shows in Boston and the New York area through June, so check out her website at www. mieka.com for more information.