G.L.A.S.S. promotes awareness on campus

The gay, lesbian, and straight supporters (G.L.A.S.S.) is a student organization comprised of homosexuals, lesbians and straight supporters. The group consists of roughly fifteen members who meet each Monday at 8 p.m.
    “Our goal is to promote awareness,” said member Lexi Chuba.
    G.L.A.S.S. is advised by faculty supporters and criminal justice professor Lori Sudderth.
    The organization is run by a board consisting of a president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. The main focus of the club, is to promote awareness on the Quinnipiac campus.
    G.L.A.S.S. encourages students to be comfortable with their sexuality and support diversity on campus.
    The club has helped people who are out and coming out, because they hear about personal experiences. They are part of a family who reach out to each other and to others. Members of G.L.A.S.S. said they have impacted straight people to accept homosexual friends and family members and improved support and awareness.
    Past events sponsored by G.L.A.S.S. include homosexual comedians and celebrities as well as trips.
    G.L.A.S.S. organized a trip for members to attend the Sept. 21 Hartford Pride, a parade where people from New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut showed their support.
    Upcoming programs include an event in honor of “National Coming out Day,” where gay pride trinkets will be distributed.
    The group also plans to volunteer for an AIDS group in New Haven and speak at local high schools.
    Because the hardest time to deal with this idea is during the teenage years, the group agrees that reaching out to adolescents will be beneficial.
    Members of G.L.A.S.S. encourage others to see what they are about, even if they are completely against the idea that they support. They hope that students will be educated on the subject and think before they react.

For more information contact G.L.A.S.S at x8348.