Fifth Annual Frisbee Fling raises money for local shelter

Alpha Chi Omega’s (AXO) fifth annual Frisbee Fling is scheduled to take place on the campus quad on Oct. 6. The event, which is the largest of the year for the sorority sisters, helps raise money for the Women’s Shelter in New Haven.
    Elizabeth Pernel, a former AXO member was killed in 1998 due to domestic violence. Since then, the sorority sisters have donated money to end and prevent domestic violence.
    Last year the sorority sisters helped raise over $3,000, and their goal for this year is to raise over $5,000.
    The winning team of the Frisbee Fling will receive a gift certificate to various businesses in the Hamden area, including Applebee’s and Monro Muffler/Brake & Service.
    Sign-up sheets for the event will be available in the Carl Hansen Student Center from Sept. 23 until Oct. 4. Tickets for the event cost $50 for a team of ten.
    A candlelight vigil will take place on the campus quad the night before the Frisbee Fling in memory of Elizabeth Pernel. The vigil is for anyone who would like to take a stand against domestic violence and show their support.
    According to the Quinnipiac University student handbook, Alpha Chi Omega was founded in 1885 by DePauw University in Indiana. Today, there are a total of 135 chapters. The Iota Phi chapter was chartered on April 5, 1997, and since then the sorority sisters have strived to recieve scholarships, leadership, and the ability to make a positive difference in the community.
    To learn more about this event visit Alpha Chi Omega’s office, which is located in the Student Center, room 222 or call x8356.