Media groups to arrange Quarnival mid-September for QU students

With mass communications having a heavy presence at Quinnipiac University, the student run media organizations take every opportunity to drum up interest in joining while promoting themselves.
    One such opportunity will arise when the five media organizations get together to put on a promotional event in the Complex Courtyard.
    “It’s great to get the word out,” said Glenn Giangrande, general manager of 98.1 WQAQ. “The real purpose is to give back to the student body. Without them, we don’t have an audience or a staff.”
    Giangrande is one of the driving forces behind the event, which will take place between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sept. 20. The promotion will offer free food, live music, psychic readings and caricature art to all students in attendance.
    Students curious about the five media organizations (WQAQ, The Chronicle, QTV, The Yearbook and Montage) will be able to visit tables set up by each organization designed to inform and to promote.
    Megan McSweeney, editor in chief of Montage, Quinnipiac’s literary magazine, is hopeful that her organization will benefit from the exposure.
    “This is the first time in a while that Montage has been printed in consecutive years,” said Mcsweeney. “It would be a huge boost to the magazine.”
    While the novelties will start at the beginning of the event and run until 5 p.m., local band Likewise will keep the event moving at 4 p.m, playing for those in attendance until the end of the event. Yearbook Editor in Chief
    Lauren O’Leary thinks that having a live band will make the event a can’t-miss opportunity.
    “Students are drawn to live music, especially on a small campus like ours,” said O’Leary. “A lot of freshmen have never heard of Likewise, and the fact that they’re a good band will only make it more appealing to attend the event.”
    Prior to Likewise taking the stage, WQAQ will be keeping the crowd entertained. The idea for the event was rooted in a similar event staged by the campus radio station at the end of last semester.
    “I wasn’t keen on the idea, which had been put forth by some of the management guys at the station,” said Giangrande. “It worked beautifully and, at the suggestion of several staff members last year, I kept it in mind for this year.”
    This specific event has been in the works since the summer. QTV President Patrick Boutilier has been high on the idea from the beginning, and with his station on the rise, thanks to new programming and an increase in staff membership, he thinks there is no better time for the event.
    “Being on such a small campus,” said Boutilier, “we need to take every opportunity we have to promote ourselves, and I think this is a step in the right direction. Music…free food…what’s not to like?”
    For more information about this event, contact Glenn Giangrande at x5278.