English professor’s job does not end in the classroom

Ask Professor Richard Rosol what the best part of his job is, and he will answer “my students.”
    “It’s wonderful to watch them grow as writers and thinkers,” he said.
    Rosol, director of freshman composition, said he has encountered many memorable experiences throughout his teaching career. He explained how a former student who had been struggling through school approached him and revealed to him how successful he was.
    “It is nice to know I have played a small part in each of my students’ lives,” he said. “It is the most rewarding thing that I could have ever imagined.”
    As a teacher, the toughest part of Rosol’s job is trying to make everyone happy.
    “It becomes exhausting,” he said.
    A typical day for Rosol starts early when he arrives to work at 7a.m. He then attends to office administration work, before beginning a full day of teaching class from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
    Rosol often has student conferences scheduled throughout his day. He also has the job of hiring adjunct professors for the English Department, as well as clearing up any difficulties that arise between students, professors and administration.
    Rosol’s day does not end when he leaves his office or his classroom. He brings home papers to grade, drafts to read and other student projects.
    Despite all that, Rosol finds time to practice playing his guitar, which he has been proudly doing for two years. He was also a full-time traveling musician until 1993.
    The professor can also be found spending quality time with his wife and children, either in the garden or going for a ride in the country.
    Rosol grew up in New Britain, Conn., where he currently resides. He obtained both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in English at Central Connecticut State University, before deciding to teach there for several years. His two children also currently attend CCSU.
    Rosol said that a major change he would like to see made at Quinnipiac is better contracts for the adjuncts.
    “They give so much and they deserve better than what they are currently getting,” he said.
    Rosol’s gives advice for students at Quinnipiac.
    “Be curious about the world you live in, challenge adults and their teachings, fight for things you think are right, and find something you enjoy and do it.”