New integrity policy to take effect during fall 2002

A new Academic Integrity Policy will begin next academic year with a focus on integrity both in and out of the classroom.
    According to Renee Gravois Lee, vice chair of the Academic Integrity Committee (AIC) and associate professor of marketing and advertising, the new policy will not only set high standards of integrity for all members of the Quinnipiac University community, but will also make integrity and honesty hot topics for discussion.
    Key features of the new policy are its focus on education and student development, and the inclusion of students in the Academic Judicial process. This is thought by the committee to help increase the commitment to integrity.
    “The new student representation on the Academic Integrity Board is vital,” said Katie Meriano, director of Academic Integrity and associate professor of occupational therapy. “The student response to participate on the Academic Integrity Board is overwhelming. This clearly demonstrates that our students desire to be a part of the process.”
    Katie Quinn, a junior business management major said that she thinks educating students about the importance of the new policy is important.
    “It’s great that students will now have a voice in the academic judicial process,” Quinn said. “Knowing that students are on the Board might even cause students to think twice before cheating.”
    The new policy specifies that all community members-students, faculty, and staff-are expected to report academic integrity violations. The policy establishes the Academic Integrity Board to hear cases concerning violations and to aid the development of consistent disciplinary measures when a violation occurs. In many cases the penalties will be more severe than those experienced in the past.
    The new Academic Integrity Policy is the result of over three years of work by students, faculty and staff members of the Academic Integrity Committee.
    “There is much regarding academic integrity that students have to be taught or made aware of,” said Ed Kavanagh, associate vice president for Academic Affairs. “We cannot assume they know what is appropriate in different circumstances. Faculty, as well as all members of the campus community, need to take responsibility for inculcating a culture of integrity.”
    For more information about the Academic Integrity Policy, contact Professor Katie Meriano at x5307.